No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Your Best Murano Bargain!  (Read 7009 times)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Your Best Murano Bargain!
« on: June 22, 2006, 06:14:06 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Thought we would get a little different interaction here for a while, so lets see what has been your best Murano Bargain!

2 of my best bargains would be buying a Murano bird on Ebay for $15+shipping, that turned out to be an Irridescent Barovier & Toso Pheasant, signed underneath! and the other buying a Cornucopia vase for about $65, which turned out to be signed Venini Murano Italia underneath and by Bianconi!

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 11:31:04 PM »
Hi Javier,

Well, the Seguso cornucopia I bought for $AUD 45, and the little bowl was $AUD 10 - I don' t know how much of bargains they were.

Cathy

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:38:06 AM »
Good idea, but how about some pictures!!! 

I'm afraid I don't have much to add to this, because I overpay for just about everything I buy.  I'm exiled here in Minnesota, a glass wasteland.  I think my presumptively Bianconi Venini clown decanter may qualify for this topic (assuming that is, in fact, what it is), $100 from a "clown collector" in Iowa.  Here's my prior posting, for those who haven't seen it yet: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3921.msg30572.html#msg30572

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 03:45:39 PM »
Hi Javier, this is a really tricky one for me because I haven't a clue about Murano values however that pink Barovier & Toso aventurine shell thingy you ID'd for me the other day only cost me £5 (I'm assuming it's worth a bit more than that!) - my daughter loves it because it's pink (typical girly girl) so I'm keeping it for her.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 05:23:28 PM »
Well, I don't have a 100% ID to say it definitely is Murano, but ....
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2384   :D
Leni

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 08:38:11 AM »
Quote from: "Pip"
....that pink Barovier & Toso aventurine shell thingy you ID'd for me the other day only cost me £5 (I'm assuming it's worth a bit more than that!) - my daughter loves it because it's pink (typical girly girl) so I'm keeping it for her.

For £5 thats a great buy!
You cant buy one like it in the US for less than $100 or more.
At least from Ebay, if its described accurately.
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 09:29:57 AM »
My best Murano bargain would still be my Salviati birds.  I was going to sell them, but I just can't bring myself to...yet!  They're beside the TV in the sitting room and I really love their fluidity.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1495

Good luck on the Venini attribution Leni...looks like you've gone as far as you can with tracing it...if Venini aren't sure, who will be?!  :x
I am not a man

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 09:47:29 AM »
Those are astoundingly gorgeous, Max, well done!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 10:11:48 AM »
Quote from: "Cathy Bannister"
Those are astoundingly gorgeous, Max, well done!

Thanks Cathy!  I don't know if I'll ever be able to sell them, and there's very few pieces I can say that about.   :o  :D
I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 04:57:58 PM »
Thanks Javier - that's great - I'll keep it well out of my daughters reach for the time being!  Max, those birds are divine - I can totally understand why you'd want to keep them, I bet they’re lovely to handle.

I have another Murano bargain to add to this thread (assuming it's not a Chinese copy) - hubby bought it just a couple of days ago and I posted a query in the main glass section earlier today asking for an ID - Pete has already kindly ID’d it as a Carlo Moretti Satinato vase.  It was priced up at £2 but the shop was having a half price day so only wanted £1 for it  :shock:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/IMG_6909.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand