No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Which one is the Stourbridge in inherited collection?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline louisa54

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 60s and 70s glass
    • UK
Which one is the Stourbridge in inherited collection?
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:46:41 PM »
We have inherited a small collection of paperweights from someone who lived near Birmingham. He kept scrupulous records of what he had bought, and in 1962 he describes a Stourhead dated paperweight for which he paid £75!! - far more than he had paid at the time for pieces of Georgian furniture etc. Surely excessive?
I am wondering which of these - if any - is the Stourhead one (perhaps he sold it). Some of them like the blue/turquoise and the red/white one look very crude and are very scratched.
As a family we are sharing the paperweights out - difficult to do when one might be much more valuable than the others.....
I would be so grateful for any information - beginning to see the appeal of collecting them now I have done some research. My favourite is the green one and the larger flat one to the right of it but those got bagged by someone else....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline louisa54

• Members
    • 60s and 70s glass
    • UK
Re: Which one is the Stourbridge in inherited collection?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:57:52 PM »
Sorry only managed to upload one picture before. Am trying again!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »
Hi.

I think you mean Stourbridge (which is where the Richardson factory was) rather than Stourhead.  The first picture you uploaded, and the matched pair in the bottom image look like Richardson pieces, as does the bottom left one in image 1, but I have never seen a dated one.  What you do get are dated Old English pieces from Arculus and Walsh Walsh (both of Birmingham).  These sometimes carry a false '1848' date (they were made in the 1920s - 1930s).  The right hand piece in your top image looks like an Arculus paperweight, and it may be that there is a crude '1848' set in canes - check the third row in from the edge at about 10 o'clock in your image (I cannot quite make out what it is).  The millefiori inkwell looks at first sight like a Walsh Walsh piece, but some of the canes look more like Whitefriars: I suspect it is a Whitefriars piece from around 1950.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline louisa54

• Members
    • 60s and 70s glass
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:10:41 PM »
Thank you so much - that's fascinating. And you are absolutely right - there is a very crude 1848 where you said. I do hope that's not what he paid £75 for fifty years ago!

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 06:37:42 AM »

Hi Louisa.  I suspect it may be what he paid £75 for, as 50 years ago dealers (and many collectors) would have believed that the date was genuine - some less well informed antique shops still do.  It was only about 50 years ago that questions began to be raised in publications about the true date of these pieces.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 12:50:58 PM »
The small blue  ;D'matchstriker/ holder' next to your inkwell maybe Richardsons, maybe  ::) ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand