No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with ID for silver rimmed open salt, possibly Webb or Stevens and Williams?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline chriss

• Members
Hi does anyone know if this open salt is Webb or Stevens and Williams or possibly Harrach or Moser open salt please?
The silver hallmarked rim is Birmingham and I think it is an r which I believe dates it to 1891? It glows under uv/black light and has a lovely thick enameled gold detail of blossoms, possibly cherry?
Many thanks for your help
Chriss

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Nice one. Stevens and Williams is unlikely IMO, as is Moser. What is the base colour under the gilding? You should be able to see where there is any wear.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriss

• Members
Hi Lustrousstone and thanks for the reply :) I've looked with a really strong glass, stronger than most loupes (hubby is an engineer so I've 'borowed' it :D) and there is one circle almost entirely missing (in the 2nd image along the bottom of the main branch to the right of the lower smaller branch :D) which although the original glass doesn't appear any different apart from a tiny scuffed area, there is a type of browny/tarnished coloured residue left which the same colour can be seen along the applied decoration thoughout, where the shiny gilt has rubbed, I don't know if this is it's original colour or if the paste like substance has been discoloured over the 124 years of it's life though?
Hope this helps? :)   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
If it is brownish and not yellow, I would look at English makers first. Bohemian gilding generally seems to have a yellow enamel base and English a brown one. This is a personal observation not a rule. (Raised gilding always has a base though and is invariably a little rubbed.) My guess would be one of the Webbs, though not necessarily Thomas

Offline chriss

• Members
Hi Thanks for the reply, I've just found a similar piece which someone else had described as Webb too :)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/390265123936385735

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Be wary of auctioneers's attributions...

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
The rim bears a worn Birmingham sterling silver hallmark but I can’t read the date letter or the sponsor/maker from the photo. Although the rim may bear no strong or obvious relationship to the glassware, at least a date may offer some sort of clue.

Fred.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
But not to who. Loads of "foreign" glass had its silver applied here

Offline chriss

• Members
I took the glass to a jeweller and she said it was a birmingham stamp :) The date letter was an r but the jewellers have better eyes than me and she has it was l and dates to 1885 :) The makers mark has a 1st letter which the 1st half of the letter is missing and the 2nd half is a faint curve which could be a D?  the remainder is clear and reads '& L S'. If it is D & L S then according to
http://www.925-1000.com/dlBirmingham2.html#M and http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Birmingham-D.html
they both give the same name for that set of letters and say one of the things they made were salts. I own some Bohemian Iridescent glass with british (London in that case) hallmarked rims? But Birmingham is quite close to Stourbridge (about 24 miles) so could this be an indication that they may have got the glass from there as Webb and Stevens & Williams were there please? 
Thanks

Offline chriss

• Members
I'm not putting this link in to show an attribution from an auctioneer as I've taken it on board about being careful about attributions from auctioneers Lustrousstone :) But I just found this link which links the same decor of glass to the same silversmith :)

http://northeastauctions.com/product/victorian-pink-cased-glass-scent-bottle-the-silver-cap-by-david-and-a-burmese-glass-scent-bottle-the-silver-by-charles-may-birmingham-1888-89-both-possibly-t/

I don't know the accuracy of or anything about Carters.com, but on their Thomas Webb and Sons glass bottles page they have a spherical bottle with what looks to me as nearly the same enamel decor, but they also have custard glass further down the page which they describe as David and Lionel Spiers?

http://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/index/2676-scent-bottles-webb-thomas-and-sons/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand