No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whiteriars rose center cane  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Millefiori

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Whitefriars paperweights
    • Usa
Whiteriars rose center cane
« on: July 08, 2015, 11:22:58 AM »
I bought this paperweight some time ago. it wasn't cheap. I would like to know how rare it is and how much it goes for in UK market. I am not going to sell it. I am a whitefriars collector in US and always looking for new ones. i am just intrigued by this one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
Re: Whiteriars rose center cane
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 04:45:49 PM »
Hi,
        this design doesn't appear in any of the catalogues that I can find, and isn't listed in Brian Slingsby's Guide to Whitefriars Paperweights. Having said that, it is shown in
Paperweights from Great Britain by John Simmonds where it is described as a P43A !!!

In that book the paperweight in question is "courtesy of Geoffrey Baxter". It could therefore have been a proposed design that never made it. However P43A is still a strange description as there is no information on a P42 or a P43.

My guess is that you have an example of a design proposal ( it is not the exact one featured in the book), and that indeed it was once refered to as a P43 in the initial stages of design.

I think it would be quite valuable to dedicated collectors.

Best wishes,

Tony

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand