No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A 'bungalow/cottage' version of Davidson's RD 207909 'house' tea caddy  (Read 863 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
http://www.cloudglass.com/r18911900.htm
shows the design representation for Davidsons’s ‘Georgian’ House tea caddy, RD 207909 of 20 February 1893.

The  ‘house’ has a hipped roof, central chimney stack, and 2 storeys (with 3 windows to the first floor front , and 2 windows and a central door to the ground floor front.

Raymond Slack has a photograph of the tea caddy in flint glass on page 81 of ‘English Pressed Glass 1830-1900’ with the following legend:
Flint glass tea caddy in the shape of a house, the roof forming the lid. Design registered by George Davidson & Co. 20 February 1893, RD 207909. Height 4¾ inches (12.1cm).

A while ago I was sent some photos of a Davidson flint glass lidded dish/tea caddy bearing the embossed Rd. No. 207909 to the base, and having a the lid in the expected shape of hipped roof with central chimney stack, BUT the base of the caddy/house was only a single storey (with the expected 2 windows and central door).

I jokingly suggested to the owner that this was either a ‘bungalow/cottage’ version of the house tea caddy, or that it may possibly have been cut down from a damaged 2-story version. Neither of us had come across this ‘bungalow/cottage’ version before, and internet searches proved unfruitful.

Now, however, the owner has 'discovered' the base of a 2-storey ‘house’ tea caddy amongst his collection and has sent me these photos of the 2-storey and [now, obviously, smaller] single-storey versions together for comparison, proving that his single-storey version really is a ‘bungalow/cottage’ version rather than a cut-down 2-storey piece.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Kevin Collins).

I imagine that the single-storey version is a lidded preserve or butter dish rather than merely a smaller tea caddy.

Has anyone else come across this smaller, single storey Davidson ‘bungalow/cottage’, and does anyone have photos of either version to show in other colours, please?

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand