Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Resolved Paperweight Queries

Modern close packed millefiori, unusual base faceting. ID = Baccarat 1960s

(1/1)

LesBeatiques:
Hello all,

This is a rather strange piece with unusual scalloped faceting round the lower third of the weight that splay out past the upper dome portion which features additional 5 plus 1 hollow facets. The closely packed millefiori are a mix of darker toned simple and complex canes which are pulled to a squat mushroom. It has a polished concave base and stands 2-7/8" tall with a 3-1/4" circumference round the lower portion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks,
Eric

LesBeatiques:
Additional photos of the canes:

tropdevin:
Hi Eric.

Here is a possibility.   The canes remind me of Baccarat canes from the 1950s - 1960s.  I am not suggesting it is a Baccarat production item, rather that it may be a piece made with Baccarat canes, perhaps as a frigger.  I have seen three other examples of pieces made with Baccarat canes from this period (including a closepack and a modest mushroom with a Zodiac silhouette).  They were not finished as nicely as this piece though, but Baccarat had good cutters.

Alan

LesBeatiques:
Hi Alan,

Thanks for taking a look. I was thinking Baccarat as well but felt that the darker canes might be from a more resent batch say 1980s-90s.

Eric

LesBeatiques:
As Alan suspected this is 1960's Baccarat, confirmed by Paul Dunlop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version