No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venini Velato ? paper label Age- ID - value anyone?  (Read 8650 times)

Offline buydesigns

• Members
Venini Velato ? paper label Age- ID - value anyone?
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 09:14:17 PM »
Hi again,

That makes sense to me.  The pieces I have seen look horizontally incised to me too.  

I found this definition on the Olnick Spanu website which confused me.  It must be a typo or translation then?  I haven't seen anything that looked like the lines were veritcal - have you?  

here is a link:

http://www.olnickspanu.com/Glossary/Glossary_Inciso.html

I can't even imagine how long it must take to cover a vase with those tiny lines!!  

I will look forward to your close up!

bye for now,

Wanda
ell, I had better get back to rummaging through my hoard of shiny objects.    

All the best to you!

Wanda

Offline buydesigns

• Members
Tobia Scarpa made it
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 08:21:31 PM »
Yippie!  

The auction catalog finally arrived with my vase in it.  I was pleased to see that the following description

Tobia Scarpa
Velati vase, model #515.2
Venini
Italy, c. 1960
wheel-carved glass
7dia x 6 h
Signed with paper manufacturer's label to underside. [Venini Murano Venezia Made in Italy].
$2000-3$000

There are lots more Murano goodies in the October 10th auction  catalog  which is now line at www.wright20.com

I am off to drool over the rest of the catalog now!

Wanda

All the best to you!

Wanda

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 09:16:28 PM »
I'll be very interested to see the auction results for the glass, if some of those reach estimate, then I'm gonna have to severely revalue my collection upwards. Just out of interest what is the buyers premium at the sale?
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline buydesigns

• Members
Hi again!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 11:09:23 PM »
Hi Paul,

Wouldn't that be nice for both of us?  

10% comission +1.5% insurance no additional fees in this case.  

By comparisoon, the other auction house I was considering offers 15%+1% insurance but met the 10% without hesitation upon request.  I though that was interesting.  

Ebay + Paypal fees ran me 6% on an $8,500 sale by comparison and the % is higher on smaller ticket sales.

The Wright catalog is huge and beautifully photographed.  I expected good exposure but nothing like what I got!  The half page devoted to my item was all that I could have hoped for but the real show stopper was the full page before it featured a close up of my vase justposed against the bubbly glass of the Fontana Arte console they are offering.  

Sadly there was a bit of a mix up in the catalog text and regarding which vase had the original mfg. tag.  but it will be reflected in condition statements to interested parties. and it has been corrected on line.  I am waiting to see if they publish a correction to catalog recipients.

All the best to you!

Wanda

Offline buydesigns

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 11:13:01 PM »
oops!  You asked about the buyers premium... 20% if I recall.  Pretty standard.

All the best to you!

Wanda

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 04:03:23 AM »
Looks like its going to be a great sale... good luck with it!

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline buydesigns

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 09:37:09 PM »
Thanks Javier,

It'll be fun to watch.  

I had to kiss a few frogs along the way.  Not all my favorite auction houses (to watch) turned out to be as decerning in their business practices as they are about their merchandise.  Wright has been exceptional.

Well,  the sky is blue and my hammock awaits!  

Bye for now,

Wanda

All the best to you!

Wanda

Offline buydesigns

• Members
What it's worth
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 02:05:16 AM »
Hi Javier, I hope you enjoyed the sale.

I didn't get a chance to watch the whole auction but I hope it raised the value of Pauls collection.

As for me... well, it is official AMBER is death to glass.  The vase brought $500 of the $2-3000 estimate.  The blue green vase brought $1,950.  I paid $5 for mine, so it's all good.  

WOW... Wright Auctions really put their money where there mouth was.  I lowered my minimum to "$500 net" on the contract.  So to cover their profits, Wright needed a minimum bid of $557, but they kindly dropped the opening bid to $450 to encourage someone ... anyone.... to bid.  

Their gorgeous catalog photos were above and beyond.  I certainly never expected them to give up their profits to make the sale for me....  but they did!  I think that speaks volumes.

Well that is all the news that's fit to print.  Bye for now,  Wanda

All the best to you!

Wanda

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 06:33:00 PM »
Darn, if I had known they were accepting bids at that level, I would have been bidding!

Oh well.

Offline buydesigns

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 07:25:53 PM »
Hi Laura,

I am so sorry you did not get a chance at the vase. They gave it a chance at $1,000 before dropped to $500.  At that point a floor bidder may have offered the $450 but I don't really know.

It raises an interesting question.  I wonder if it might have been better to insure that they advertised it at the lower opening.  Can I asked how high you would have gone on it??

On the bright side, this may influence future prices and getting the photos "out there" in the catalog/web could bring some out of the woodwork.  

I would have preferred the eBay title include Venini over Velati.  A title search for Venini does not bring that piece up, (so some pickers may miss seeing it).  You have to choose "search item descriptions" or search for Velati.  WHO would have been searching for Velati without having seen the catalog??  oh now I've gotten way off point... uh hmmm.    

I understand the Catalogue Raisone lists the colors made.  I hope you find one in your favorite color!  

Bye for now,

Wanda

All the best to you!

Wanda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand