No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A cranberry uranium vase and a cranberry style green bowl?  (Read 8185 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
A cranberry uranium vase and a cranberry style green bowl?
« on: June 22, 2006, 11:30:31 PM »
I'm a virgin when it comes to cranberry glass. Is this vase cranberry glass? It glows under UV and it's vertically ribbed with applied clear glass bits. It has a nicely polished rim with a few chips on it unfortunetly. There is no pontil and the base slopes inwards. Not a biggin', It's just under 8 inches high. I paid £2.75 for it, was that cheap?
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_48135.jpg

This isn't cranberry but it's in the style of Cranberry glass. Nicely polished pontil. A few minor chips but nothing too noticable. It's around 4.50 inches diameter. I broke the bank and paid £3.50 for it!
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_48136.jpg

Any clues of manufacturer, age, etc...?

Thanks, Tigerhips.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:53:49 AM »
Hi "tigerhips" (wot, no "c"?)

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "style of Cranberry glass". If glass is the colour of "crushed cranberries" then it is cranberry in colour (although some folk would say that modern items of similar colour are not really "cranberry" as the pink is not the right shade).

The top of your first vase does seem to be of a cranberry colour, although the overall pink looks a bit too red ... and the green seem rather weak. But that may due to the thickness (or thinness) of the glass and photographic lighting etc.

Cranberry-with-green is well known for various 19th century pieces (see my example below), and your vase, with its pinch-work, does have the look of a late 19th century piece. But I wonder whether it could be a later version?

Here's one of my cranberry-and-green things (with a "Triffid" foot, as Leni might call it): http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2376
In my photo, the pink appears darker than in many other cranbeery coloured items. It glows bright green under "blacklight". Even in the pink section - but that is because of the clear glass that coats the inner cranberry colour and the clear is casuing a UV reaction. The green may itself give a UV reaction but that would not necessarily be detected through the standard green from the clear glass. (I have a cranberry-and-clear (no green) vase which shows only a green reaction in the clear ... the cranberry section is on a very thin clear glass and no UV reaction is seen.)

The second vase is also probably a 19th century one, with a crimped (rigaree) trail of clear around the middle. But it's not a "cranberry style".

Or maybe there is a collector term of "cranberry" that applies to something other than the colour? I await further responses. :)
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 07:58:05 AM »
Hi Tiger,
nice Victorian glass you got there, & yes, bargains too!
The ruby (or cranberry) to green is often referred to as Rubina Verde, particularly in U.S references.
Hard to say where it's from, could be English or maybe a Bohemian copy of English glass.
It's a variation on the heat reactive shaded colours so popular in the late Victorian era, like Amberina.
Second item could be a preserve dish-they usually have this type of rigaree round their middle as a support to sit snugly into a silver-plate holder.
This one looks English to me & probably C.1890s.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 08:48:24 AM »
1st one looks Bohemian to me.  Second, yes, I agree could well be English.  

Tiger, now don't you start collecting 'my' style of glass!   :twisted:  And not at my sort of price, either!  :lol:
Leni

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 12:05:37 PM »
The vase looks more of a cranberry colour than ruby, it's just the light playing tricks.

It does shine bright green under UV as normal, though the cranberry bits don't shine as much. I don't think the bottom half of the vase is green, rather it's the uranium in the glass that makes it look green.  :?  So I've got a cranberry to clear glass vase, or should I say cranberry to uranium vase? Or would it be cranberry to green as it looks green.  :roll:

I'll just add that the pinchwork does not glow under UV as it's just clear glass.

The vase has a lot of imperfections in it, more so than the bowl. it has a few stretched bubbles and the odd bit of black grit.

More pictures
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_48142.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_48146.jpg

The bowl is just as heavy (240g) as the vase and it seems to have more quality to it.

More pictures
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_48144.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_48145.jpg

Quote from: "KevH"
Hi "tigerhips" (wot, no "c"?)

Work it, work it out, stand with your feet parallel, little more than hip distance apart, your stomach pulled in, your weight slightly forward, keeping that posture, and reach, two three, two three four, and back, two three four five six seven eight, and back, two three four five six seven eight, and back...  :D
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 01:05:10 PM »
I've always thought that ruby & cranberry were pretty much interchangable terms.
I suppose this will start a terminology war, now!
We tend to call this colour ruby down here.
The lower quality of the vase as you describe it either places it as a crib item (small 'backyard' manufacturer) or cheap Bohemian copy of English glass.
Whatever, it's of the type generally referred to as Rubina Verde.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 01:06:27 PM »
I've always thought that ruby & cranberry were pretty much interchangable terms.
The lower quality of the vase as you describe it either places it as a crib item (small 'backyard' manufacturer) or cheap Bohemian copy of English glass.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 01:09:01 PM »
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 04:12:31 PM »
Certainly not interchangeable. Ruby is a shade of deep red and Cranberry is a different deep red. However, European cranberry is the fruit of a shrub and the American cranberry the fruit of a tree from a completely different species. Ruby is the ideal colour of the gemstone but of course there is a lot of variation.

I would say Ruby is deeper than cranberry but I have not seen the US fruit.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 04:42:59 PM »
Thank you, er, again, Marinka. :? :)

Oh, it's definetly not a cheap Bohemian copy (lies).  :lol:

Sounds silly of me to ask but are the cheap Bohemian copies worth a lot less than the genuine English one's? And how old are the cheap Bohemian copies as mine doesn't look recent?

It's filled with muck. (Goes off to clean it in the dish washer, 90 degrees, oh yes).  :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand