No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A cranberry uranium vase and a cranberry style green bowl?  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
A cranberry uranium vase and a cranberry style green bowl?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 05:12:17 PM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
Sounds silly of me to ask but are the cheap Bohemian copies worth a lot less than the genuine English one's? And how old are the cheap Bohemian copies as mine doesn't look recent?

What's anything 'worth', Tiger?   :wink:  Personally, I collect both English and Bohemian, so both are 'worth' the same to me.  Although I might have to pay a bit more for a Stourbridge 'name'!   :lol:

I think the Bohemian ones are equally old.  Please don't put it in the dishwasher, the poor old thing!   :shock:   :wink:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 05:58:16 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
I think the Bohemian ones are equally old. Please don't put it in the dishwasher, the poor old thing!  

My dishwasher isn't old, it's brand new, I got it a few days ago with my kitchen.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 07:03:19 PM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
I think the Bohemian ones are equally old. Please don't put it in the dishwasher, the poor old thing!  

My dishwasher isn't old, it's brand new, I got it a few days ago with my kitchen.  :lol:

Congratulations!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Ooops!  We're destined for the Cafe!   :wink:
Leni

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 10:21:16 PM »
Tiger, now don't you start collecting 'my' style of glass!  :twisted:  And not at my sort of price, either!  :lol:  

I may start a collection of those tall opalescent uranium vases but where should I start? It's not like I'm going to find a whole bunch of them is it, especially on a car boot? I think i'll stick to my carnival glass just for now.  :D
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 10:53:24 PM »
For some time, I have stayed out of discussions on what causes a UV reaction in glass ... it's all quite complicated ... and far too difficult for me to put into simple words - even if I knew what I was mumbling about.  :cry:

But, suddenly, my "pedant hat" dropped of the hat rack and plopped neatly onto my head as I approached the computer this evening ... so I would just like to say, in response to:
the pinchwork does not glow under UV as it's just clear glass
... Clear glass can give a UV reaction, and very often it's green. The fact that the clear pinchwork does not show a UV reaction merely means that it contains nothing in the proportions that would cause a reaction. I have seen some pieces with clear parts for the foot and rim or body decoration which react differently, showing no reaction for one part but green for the other :!:

And no, folks, I won't be drawn into the old debates about "uranium glass". No. Defintely not. No way. Too much for me. No more.

:shock:  8)  :D
KevinH

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 09:06:26 AM »
Quote from: "KevH"
I have seen some pieces with clear parts for the foot and rim or body decoration which react differently, showing no reaction for one part but green for the other :!:

Hi Kev  :D  Yes, I have many pieces like this!  In some the rigaree alone glows brightly, in some the main body of the item also glows, but very much less.  I always assumed this was due either to the amount of uranium in the mix, or to the fact that it might be one of the other chemicals, which causes a lesser reaction.  But I still tend to call it 'uranium glass', 'cos I reckon it saves confusion!  Sorry if it prods you to put on your pedant hat!    :lol:
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 10:25:59 AM »
After further investigation the cranberry colour gets only further away. There are several varities of the European species and of course the colours are certain to vary across the range.

The colours defined as cranberry spread across a broad spectrum but I would sat that in general they all appear to be at the blue end of the red spectrun and ruby tends to the purer reds.

This site brings us back to the specifics of cranberry glass and there description of the colour gives an interesting observation that might make the definition of cranberry colour in glass clearer. http://www.exmoorglass.co.uk/cranberry.htm
The rose tint of  Cranberry is a distinctly English colour.  Red glass was produced on the continent but in much darker, heavier colours. The secret of the  Cranberry shade that the English made was that they added gold to the molten glass, as an expensive but very powerful colouring agent.

But just to add to the confusion http://www.gibraltar-crystal.com/cran_intro.html
appears to equate cranberry with ruby, or Roman Gold Ruby. :x

Back to square one :?:

Can our American membership come up with any US definitions applying to glass? Was cranberry part of the American glass companies palette or just used by collectors?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 10:45:05 AM »
Another Antique dealers definition:

CRANBERRY GLASS. The colour of wild Cranberries, the pink is subtle but not so deep as Ruby red glass..Very popular with the Victorians for tablewares.Victorian Cranberry glass is often very fine glass, showing faults in the glass,such as trapped air bubbles..Modern Cranberry glass is still produced, the best pink is made in Bohemia...

http://www.glamorganantiques.co.uk/glossaryglass.htm

Connie

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 10:49:07 AM »
Cranberry glass was/is made by American glass companies.  The most notable being Fenton.  Fenton began making cranberry glass around 1939.  Other American companies that I can think of off the top of my head that made cranberry were Pilgrim and Kanawha.  When Pilgrim closed, it was said that Fenton was the only American company left making cranberry glass due to the cost of the gold needed in the formulation.

I think since then that the glass company (which I can't remember the name) that makes glass for the Sandwich Glass Museum makes small quantities of cranberry glass for the reproduction glass sold at the museum.

Glen and I had a conversation about cranbery glass, ruby glass, heat sensitive glass etc last year on this board.

In general, cranberry glass in the US is a pinky red made with gold as the colorant.  Ruby Red is a deeperr red and I believe that selenium is used as the colorant.

JMHO YMMV

:wink:

Edited to add some examples:

Fenton cranberry -

http://www.grayhorseglass.com/items/527455/item527455store.html#item

Fenton ruby

http://www.grayhorseglass.com/items/374320/item374320store.html#item

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 01:23:22 PM »
Quote from: "grayhorse"
Cranberry glass was/is made by American glass companies.  The most notable being Fenton.  Fenton began making cranberry glass around 1939.  Other American companies that I can think of off the top of my head that made cranberry were Pilgrim and Kanawha.  

Ah, but I think what Frank is asking is, did the makers  call it 'Cranberry', or was that the name collectors gave to it?  :?

Tiger, look at the pinched work on this vase of mine, bought as 'Victorian vaseline glass'  :wink:  and tell me if you think this one could be a relation of yours?  http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2392

The pinched pattern is different to that on all my other generic 'Stourbridge' Victorian Vaseline glass, but looks to me to be very like yours.  I have always thought this one of mine was Bohemian.  

It certainly doesn't contain Uranium in any great quantity, if at all, as it doesn't react noticeably under my little (albeit very weak and quite basic) UV keyring torch!  The 'clear glass' (with apologies to Kevin) doesn't appear to react at all!
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand