No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A cranberry uranium vase and a cranberry style green bowl?  (Read 8197 times)

Connie

A cranberry uranium vase and a cranberry style green bowl?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 01:49:25 PM »
Yes, the companies I mentioned - Fenton, Pilgrim and Kanawha all called it cranberry which was distinctive from what they called ruby.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2006, 02:01:05 PM »
I think a fair summation that can be applied universally is:

[list=1]
[*]Cranberry - A rich pinkish red.
[*]Ruby - A deep rich red.
[/list:o]

Add opinions for alternative descriptions and we should have clarity on that score.

To write a numbered list in your posting, the code looks like this:
Code: [Select]
[list=1]
[*]Cranberry - A rich pinkish red.
[*]Ruby - A deep rich red.
[/list]

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 06:47:51 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
Quote from: "grayhorse"
Tiger, look at the pinched work on this vase of mine, bought as 'Victorian vaseline glass'  :wink:  and tell me if you think this one could be a relation of yours?  http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2392

The pinched pattern is different to that on all my other generic 'Stourbridge' Victorian Vaseline glass, but looks to me to be very like yours.  I have always thought this one of mine was Bohemian.  

It certainly doesn't contain Uranium in any great quantity, if at all, as it doesn't react noticeably under my little (albeit very weak and quite basic) UV keyring torch!  The 'clear glass' (with apologies to Kevin) doesn't appear to react at all!

Yes, the pinch work looks identical to my vase, and so do these.  :roll:
Two vases

My UV torch has a strap that fits onto my head, why? I haven't got a clue, but I look like a twit when I wear them. :?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2006, 07:08:56 PM »
Yes, Tiger, the pinched work on those two did look the same, and I bet they aren't Powell!  I reckon by the price they fetched no-one else thought they were either!   :roll:  :lol:

IMHO the green is 'wrong' for Powell of that age.  The cut edge is also a clue.   Bohemian, unless I'm very much mistaken!  I'd say they were from the same 'family' as yours - and probably mine!  :D
Leni

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 01:18:26 PM »
The discussion on Ruby & Cranberry has been interesting & enlightening.
My mistake for feeling that these terms were interchangable.
However, doesn't Ruby get called 'gold ruby',thus implying it is the type made with gold rather than selenium?
I'm probably on the wrong track again!
Also very sorry & embarrassed about my multiple posts- not intentional I can assure you all! :oops:
It is because I've been having big problems with posting lately. It takes forever for the post to be entered.
When it's entered, the screen is just blank, with 'done' in the lower frame of my browser (I'm using Firefox).
I end up re-entering it as I can't I can't tell whether it's worked or not.
Posting used to be easy, what has changed to make it so hard?
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 01:35:11 PM »
Could be a problem with your connection ADSL (Broadband) can play up when the connection from the computer to the box is long and you get a noisy phone line, the strehgth of the signal not being high enough to overcome the noise. Dial-up just slows down a lot with line noise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand