No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: #1 Centre Cane Paperweight Help  (Read 4641 times)

Offline cxgirl

• Members
#1 Centre Cane Paperweight Help
« on: July 16, 2015, 03:19:37 AM »
Hi,
I have another paperweight I need help with - it is 2 1/4" diameter. The centre cane is #1, the base is black glass or a very dark blue.
Any information appreciated.
Mary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: #1 Centre Cane Paperweight Help
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 06:48:56 AM »

Hi.  I wonder whether it is a mid 20th century Murano piece?  I don't know what the '1' would represent though.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 07:29:51 AM »
Hi,

It seems Scottish to me rather than Murano. I was thinking that those canes are similar to those in early Perthshire or John Deacons weights.

I do not know the meaning of the '1' in the centre either. May be a trial piece?

SophieB

Offline LesBeatiques

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • U.S.
    • The Paperweight Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 08:06:37 AM »
Hello,

My vote is Scottish as well...Could the "1" be an upside down "J" for "J Glass"

Regards,
Eric

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 08:30:21 AM »
Hi,

Yes, 'J' for 'J Glass' may fit the bill. Some of the 'J Glass' weights were signed with a single 'J' others had a 'J' with a date. I have attached a copy of a 'J Glass' weight. The 'J' in the date cane looks very similar.

SophieB

Offline cxgirl

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 05:03:39 PM »
thanks for all the replies :)
Here it is flipped over - the curve of the letter is going the wrong way for J. I hadn't thought of it being a letter, will have a look in that direction.
Is there a reference book on the different canes?
Mary

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 10:30:16 PM »
Actually, the cane may have been inverted during set-up and so it could still be a J but appearing as if reversed.

As for reading, you may find the 'dictionary of signature canes: identification and dating' by Andrew Dohan useful.

SophieB

Offline cxgirl

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 01:17:29 AM »
Thanks SophieB! Yes, it could very well be inverted, I never thought of that. The base has an indentation so maybe Perthshire? I compared it to weights that have Perthshire labels and it looks the same.
I'll have to look for that book.
Mary

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 07:02:30 AM »

Hi.  I am not convinced by the tentative J Glass attribution.  I have J Glass brochures for 1978 and 1979 (I published images of them in PCC News issue 113).  The canes are nothing like the ones in this paperweight.  Here are a couple of J Glass images to show what their canes looked like (the butterfly is signed under one hind wing).

I agree that the hollow ground base makes Murano unlikely.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 08:07:14 AM »

Okay...senior moment exposed!

I thought I had seen something similar to the paperweight which is the subject of this thread...and I was correct.  Lurking in one of my storage boxes was the miniature paperweight shown below.  It is very similar to the one being discussed, and has some form of centre signature cane.  I had tentatively assumed it might be a Perthshire PP32, which was a miniature with varied design, varied facetting, and a centre letter cane indicating the year (eg J for 1978).  Mine has what I think is an S cane (which would indicate 1987).  However, the canes did not look quite right for Perthshire, so I left it in the 'not sure' category.  Mine is really small:  1 3/4 inch / 44 mm diameter,  1 1/8 inch / 30 mm tall.  Concave polished base, typical of Perthshire - as is the cobalt blue ground.

So are these both examples of the PP32?

Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand