No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rose Bowl ID help please  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Rose Bowl ID help please
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 07:35:47 AM »
Hi everyone,

I wonder whether it's heat reactive glass? This is from Angela's glass encyclopaedia http://www.glassencyclopedia.com//opalescentglass.html

The third kind of opalescent glass is hand blown and was normally made from two layers of glass. The outer layer contained heat reactive components such as bone ash. The two-layered piece was blown into a mould with the raised pattern impressed into the metal. After removing the mold, the piece had a raised pattern comprised largely of heat sensitive glass, which turned milky white when reheated. This left the white pattern like a silhouette against the usually clear background.

Does all heat reactive glass have 'fire'? Obviously this one doesn't.

Cathy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mike_rexann

• Members
Rose Bowl ID help please
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 12:38:55 PM »
I thank everyone for their help and thoughts so far, this is a wonderful group. Although the exterior is relatively smooth, except for the raised opalescent lines. The interior is very bumpy. Where-ever the opalescent lines run, it is raised on the interior, and there are bumps, where they intersect. I hope I am expaining this clear enough, being a baked dirt guy, this is out of my area of expertise.

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Connie

Rose Bowl ID help please
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 01:10:13 PM »
I would describe this rose bowl as an opalescent diamond optic rose bowl.

I am not certain if it is American or Italian.  When I first saw it I thought Itakian.  But once I saw the close-ups of the pattern, I thought American.  Those little cross pieces on the outside remind me of American pieces.  I can't find the reference of the pattern right now (I looked earlier this morning).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand