No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Butterfly Butter dish...  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Sowerby Butterfly Butter dish...
« on: July 23, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »
Just sharing my latest find a gorgeous Sowerby Butterfly butter dish in amber...the detail in the butterfly is amazing.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby Butterfly Butter dish...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:53:40 PM »
great find Angela   -   do you know, approximately, the date of manufacture.......     could look at the CD catalogue, but I'm being lazy ;)

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 11:19:01 AM »
Well according to Glen it isn't in any catalogue...http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/sowerby-butterfly.html     Somone has just posted a gorgeous uranium one on Facebook... :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 12:26:21 PM »
so who's a lucky girl then ;)                  In fact it was on the tip of my tongue to say that the butter butterfly did look rather like the Sowerby trinket tray insect.
Much to my shame have to admit to collecting larvae of said insect (from fennel on the Norfolk marshes) many years back, and breeding out the adult  -  tis indeed a spectacular and colourful butterfly - although as with many glass representations there is much stylization.
Regret I don't frequent either Twitter or Facebook, but can imagine how gorgeous a uranium example must look.

Again, my congratulations, and I will keep an eye out for another, and if it glows or shows iridescence will let you know. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 01:40:31 PM »
tried modifying my comments but unsuccessful it seems - so will add..........

meant to say thanks for adding the link from Glen, which very interesting, and shows how good research can help with identification - impressive work on this occasion by Bernard Cavalot, although regret to say that I was unaware that Bernard had died  -  if we were notified on the Board somewhere then I apologise.                Although we had our differences, am very much aware of his much respected and massive knowledge and experience in the field of pressed glass.

Offline nicola

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
Great find! I have one in pink and it's definitely Sowerby with the consistencies with the Butterfly dressing table set. I remember talking to Bernard about this at a glass fair and he said how rare they were. I'd love to find one in green as it would match the dressing table set, but I've only seen them in pink and amber :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 03:30:33 AM »
Paul, here is the link announcing Bernard's untimely death. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,59383.0.html

Angela, your butter dish is just gorgeous!!!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »
thank you Anne for the link, and to Nigel for posting this sad news.         

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »
it is very sad to hear about Bernard I would have loved to have shared this find with him.... I have permission from the owner Brian Gibson to share his uranium Sowerby Butterfly butter dish....

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »
Feel sure he would have been green with envy. :)            thanks for sharing the pix.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand