No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: MDG Fish and Lollipop vase  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
MDG Fish and Lollipop vase
« on: July 28, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »
Hi,

A couple of recent finds............  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: MDG Fish and Lollipop vase
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »
Fish, not axehead! "Axehead" was a term invented by Mark Hill before he knew the proper name, he and others have been trying very, very hard to get rid of this term ever since.
Patrick, would you mind if we asked a moderator to change your title?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »
Done.
You have a couple of quite unusual pieces there, I have both shapes myself, (but as you know, I've been concentrating of the Boffo style of execution of Earthtones for years, long before I knew about MDG or Boffo's involvement at Mdina.) I really haven't seen many around at all.

Another unusual shape, I think I have the only one I've seen, is the facetted cube solifleur, (mine is uncut and unpolished, and the colour of the casing is a vile yellow, which sadly, spoils it.) It has to be MDG, it has the "batutto style" of polished cut to the base.
I'll get some pics to add to this thread, soon.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 04:25:09 PM »

the facetted cube solifleur, (mine is uncut and unpolished, and the colour of the casing is a vile yellow, which sadly, spoils it.) It has to be MDG, it has the "batutto style" of polished cut to the base.
I'll get some pics to add to this thread, soon.

I can't wait to see that .........

The Fish vase is 9 1/4" high and 8" wide, I found both on Ebay in the USA and I was the only bidder. Others may have been put off by the high shipping costs. I was going to get them sent to my sister but because of the low price I had them shipped here. The seller combined the postage and import tax and costs were only £32.00.
Here is link to the Ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unusual-Art-Glass-Vase-Block-Of-Ice-Swirl-Drip-Michael-Harris-Mdina-Axehead-/301678215450 and the lolipop. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superb-Art-Glass-Vase-Interior-Drip-Design-Michael-Harris-Mdina-Malta-Thick-LQQK-/301678245627
The cost for BOTH including delivery and tax was £145 which I was very happy with....... 

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:58:55 PM »
Not unreasonable at all Patrick, seems a fair bit of MDG went to the States, a lot crops up listed as Mdina.

John

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 09:07:07 PM »
Very nice Pat

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 01:59:44 PM »
Great finds ...you must be over- the- moon and heading out towards Pluto  ;D
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »
Cube.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »
Thanks very much for posting the pics. Sue,

If ever there was anything that looked like the same colourway as Patrick's lollipop (featured above) it's this !!  :o

I can't understand why the sides of the cube weren't cut "n" polished ....perhaps it was due to the fact that they couldn't get a fine enough finish with all that 'Battuto' going on ?

Cheers "n" thanks Mike  ;) ;D
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 04:13:01 PM »
It's just been flattened on the marver. Plenty of Mdina "cubes" are also just marver flattened as are "ice-cut" lollipops. The cutting and polishing was time consuming, I don't know what equipment they had at MDG for that purpose, but the batutto style bases might suggest they didn't have a lot of sophisticated cutting and polishing tools.
At Mdina, early on, something would only get polished if there was enough spare staff with time to do it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand