No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart RA ?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Monart RA ?
« on: June 24, 2006, 03:08:18 PM »
Hi all,

My latest purchase! And I think it is Monart RA, but never, ever, having handled Monart, I would like a little reassurance

To my eye, it matches the one on Frank's site.
It is 22.5 cm in height. (Sorry no " tape measure here.  :oops: )

:shock: Click to enlarge :shock:

I got it for a steal, so I am hoping that it was my lucky day.  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks in advance. :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Monart RA ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 03:44:47 PM »
It looks like it was your lucky day. :D

Indeed shape RA in the original shape and probably early, say c1930. How close is the colour in the image to the piece.

Generally would sell in the 250-500 Euros range.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Monart RA ?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 03:54:16 PM »
Hi Frank,

Thank you.  :D  The colour is pretty close, but with any kind of lighting, there is a very slight difference, ie the orange on the photo looks slightly more flourescent than the piece itself.

If it is worth that much  :shock:  :shock:  then I am a lucky girl today and a happy one.   :wink:  :wink:

P.S. It is perfect!
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Monart RA ?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 04:17:45 PM »
Perfect maybe, this shape is particularly prone to annealing cracks. You need to study the surface inside and out at every angle possible with a point light source. They can be as small as 1mm and show up by reflection only. They cannot be felt and only go through one casing layer.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Monart RA ?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 06:40:10 PM »
Okay, see my bubble burst.  :wink:

I really don't know what I am looking for, Frank. I am embarrassed to say that I have never seen an annealing crack.  :oops:  :oops:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Monart RA ?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 07:31:33 PM »
They are tough the first time, but they are found on a huge proportion. Impact on value is low unless very noticeable. I once had a piece completely covered in them and it sold because of them!

Didn't intend to deflate your bubble but it is good to be aware of these things. They are rarely found on other types of glass so no need to be embarrased When you come to A'dam I can show you examples. (I think)

What you are looking for is a minute line that reflects light, in particular with RA they appear on flat surfaces and in the curve at the top of the base. Internal ones are much harder to locate and again on the flat surfaces.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Monart RA ?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 07:46:41 PM »
I was just jesting, Frank, with the bubble I mean.  :)

Thank you so much for the information.  :D I look forward to more enlightenment in August.  :lol:

I didn't realise how lovely this glass is, the photographs just don't do it justice either. It is really heavy too, which also surprised me.

I must say, thanks to the ysartglass.com site, I was confident as to what it was when I saw it, but wanted to get my hands on it first.  :P  :P Then of course, there is always the nagging doubt which has to be satisfied.
 :roll:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Monart RA ?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 07:59:13 PM »
Here's an example of a large annealing crack http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4922.0.html

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Monart RA ?
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 08:14:44 PM »
That is misleading because that is very large and caused by co-efficient problems. In the case of Monart it was a lousy annealing oven which the Ysart's resolved at Vasart. But yes, that is what the can look like in a large mass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand