No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The joys of paperweight collecting, and A MESSAGE FOR MAKERS  (Read 24162 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
The joys of paperweight collecting, and A MESSAGE FOR MAKERS
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 04:53:04 AM »
Lily, if you have pictures and want to show them have a read at the Help stickie here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html and you can use GlasGallery to host them if you don't have webspace of your own. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 05:01:47 AM »
Jim Hart has been making his own rose canes with many variations and lately, he has been using an upset muslin ground.
Prior, he was using a copper aventurine ground which turned me off some.

Also, he's getting back into lampwork florals which also employ some of his rose canes, again on an upset muslin ground.

I have a good Hart floral with berries on upset muslin that he made about 2-3 years ago but I can't get a pic on here because it's too big  :(
Prices realized for his weights have grown over the years.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 05:03:59 AM »
Mark, can you not resize the image down to fit?  If you don't have the software to be able to do this, check out Irfanview - it's freeware and powerful while being easy to use.  http://www.irfanview.com/
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
thanks LOTV
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 01:55:20 PM »
Thanks Lily Of The Valley. I took a look at the auction you mentioned - 7424598262 - and discovered one possible new fact, but only a possibility. The seller claims the sulphide paperweight up for sale has the date 1971 and a series number on the base.

But the seller doesn't state if the date is scratch-signed or part of the St. Clair hot stamp (die-cast) look. My mystery "bearded gentleman" weight has the St. Clair hot stamp, but no date. My mystery "lady-in-pearls" weight has both the St. Clair mark and the date hot stamped.

I will have to ask the seller if the date on the bearded fellow base is scratched-on or part of the St. Clair stamp.

However, the paperweight sulphide is of the the same man. But the seller doesn't offer a name or description.

All of this brings us to another question. If the date is stamped, why wasn't mine stamped with a date? Just another mid-west glassmakers' mystery and a question for someone who worked at St. Clair to answer, not to mention Joe Rice answering.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
u.s. grant
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2006, 03:15:22 PM »
After looking at a U.S. government portrait and photographic website that has wonderful official photographs and portraits of U.S. presidents and their wives, I've decided that the mystery "bearded fellow" in the St. Clair sulphide paperweight is one of the 19th-century U.S. presidents, Ulysses S. Grant.

I have to admire the ability of whoever made the sulphide at, or for, St. Clair to accurately capture Grant's crinkly eyes and puffy cheeks. It really is very nice cameo work.

I looked at the possible men, including presidents Garfield and Hayes, and there are things about both men that don't match up with the sulphide's cameo representation. So, until proven totally wrong, I'm going with Grant.

As for the mystery woman - possibilities included the Queen, Evangeline Bergstrom and Mamie Eisenhower. Based on the U.S. government site, I think the sulphide is Mamie, wife of President Dwight David "Ike" Eisenhower. Here, the cameo artist did a great job capturing the pearls and the slight nod of Mamie's head. The hair is dead-on as well.

Now I really want to know who was working at St. Clair. Who made these paperweights? Who's the cameo artist? Why were some presidents and their wives selected and not others? Is there a larger series that few have seen? Where are all the paperweights? Information hints that maybe 300-400 of each weight were made. Why the heck isn't there a St. Clair glass museum? Does Joe Rice have some of these? Is there a cache of St. Clair paperweights boxed away? Where are the company papers? It seems that this sulphide work was done in the early 1970s. Why? Just another batch of questions, I guess, that may not be answered.

You can see both of these paperweights in the first post in this thread.

Here are images of the actual people, Grant and Mamie, as captured and preserved in photos:

http://i3.tinypic.com/15xmx5y.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/15xnaes.jpg

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 06:41:41 PM »
www.wpitt.com , American paperweights (page 5) has a James Garfield (signed Joe St.Clair) paperweight.

My attempts to copy/paste to this post failed! I could get the description, but not the photo!  :roll:  

Not to confuse matters, but Baccarat's Robert E. Lee has similar features! But with St. Claire based in Ohio, I would bet they would cast Grant rather than Lee!!

Liz
Liz

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
uh oh
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 07:52:03 PM »
Uh oh Liz, here we go again. The sulphide cameo to which you refer looks exactly like my sulphide cameo. The backgrounds are different. And, the seller doesn't state anything about a scratched number on the base; AND the seller states the weight is signed with an impressed Joe St. Clair, whereas mine is signed with an impressed St. Clair and has the scratched number 341.

Of course, it doesn't look anything like James Garfield's official photograph on the U.S. government website.

The only explanation might be that the seller of this weight has not gotten the attribution right and thinks that the cameo is of Garfield, but is in fact Ulysses S. Grant. It sure looks more like Grant.

Ah me.

Offline girlglassguide

• Members
love it
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 04:35:23 PM »
This is an absolutely fascinating thread. Like a rich detective story.

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2006, 11:40:27 PM »
Item number: 7423892613   

Here is a sulphide of Garfield.  I thought the info provided by the seller was interesting and might well support your weight being Garfield (vs Grant) even though my first thought was Grant too.

Enjoy .... Lily :)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 11:48:52 PM »

Oops!  The above item # is the Garfield sulphide.  The one in the post before this is McKinley.  The info from the two sellers is the same though.

Very interesting ...... Lily

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand