No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Zecchin type vase  (Read 620 times)

Offline McArt

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Zecchin type vase
« on: August 06, 2015, 02:38:44 PM »
Hi everybody!

I come here for help, so I got this vase and I want to know if anybody recognizes it, I already wrote an email to a person from Venini, but have not got a response yet, maybe he's not there any more... I will send another mail in a couple of days if that stays so.

I will not declare my assumptions and wishful thinkings, take a look and judge for yourself.

It's 27 cm tall and has some kind of coating except for a ring between handles.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Zecchin type vase
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 11:17:02 AM »
I associate this smoke-brown colour with Sweden and Denmark, c.1920-40, rather than with Italy.

Although I don't immediately recall the exact shape, Jacob Bang did do a few handled/footed vases for Holmegaard in the mid-1930s.

Orrefors/Sandvik would be another plausible contender.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline McArt

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 06:00:04 AM »
Hi Pinkspoons!

Thank you for the suggestion! I am aware of Scandinavian and German smoke glass, but because of the shape I did not even consider them.

I looked through the Holmegaard catalogue and did not find anything close to this shape, there are few designs with feet and fewer with handles, I did not find a vase with both.

I'll have to invest more time in Orrefors direction...

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »
Sorry - I didn't read your original post properly. The 'coating' would be more than a little odd for Danish glass - although recorded glass from Holmegaard of this period is very fragmentary, and there was a lot of experimentation with a lot of items that do not appear in their standard catalogues - so I wouldn't entirely discount it.

Is it iridescence, this coating?

I had a look through the Venini 'Blue Catalogue', and I couldn't find a match there. But, again, this is an incomplete record of early Venini output.

That said, I still don't *think* it's Venini - my main arguments being that 1920s-30 Muranese soffiato glass tends to be much more thinly-blown than this vase, and that the smokey-brown of Venini, CVM and the Zecchin-Martinuzzi works is more delicate and golden-yellow in tone, broadly speaking, than the rustic red-browns prevalent in Northern European glass.

Happy to be wrong, of course!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline McArt

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 11:03:34 AM »
the glass is not fat, it's not the thinnest, but for this size and volume it's only 1.2kg if I recall it correctly. the coating is barely visible, I noticed it only after taking photos. It's hard to photograph it, take a look at the first pic, in the second pic the ring is barely visible too. if there was no ring between handles I would not even notice it. I don't see any iridescence, but at this thin layer I wouldn't even if that was it.

I believe there are Venini Veronese vases in this color, I can not confirm with side by side shot unfortunately. and the shape is close enough to be open to a possibility in my mind... but as I said in the beginning that all might be just a wishful thinking. 

Thank You for your time investment!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand