No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Orange Rim and Bubbles Bowl for reference  (Read 830 times)

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Caithness Orange Rim and Bubbles Bowl for reference
« on: August 09, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »
Picked this up thinking it may be Italian/ Murano but it is marked Caithness Scotland 65/100. A piece commemorating the centenary (1896 - 1996) of the Glasgow Underground and with an orange rim - orange being the colour of the Glasgow subway trains. It weighs 1.75 kg and is 9 3/8ins diameter x 2 1/2ins high. Along-with it came a much more rough and ready version that looks like it may be a very bad first attempt. I will add pictures of the other bowl.

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Re: Caithness Orange Rim and Bubbles Bowl for reference
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 11:59:50 AM »
...and the other bowl. This one weighs just under 2.4kg and is 8 3/4ins x 3 3/4ins high. Maybe they are nothing to do with each other but the seller told me they came from the same source and this one does have obvious faults although the unmarked base is polished.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Caithness Orange Rim and Bubbles Bowl for reference
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »
Random thoughts, Alistair. :)

Applied rims are notriously difficult to do.
Orange-coloured enamels are one of the most awkward and unpredictable enamels to work with.
Caithness does/did not produce large chargers with heavy, thick bases on a regular, "production" basis.
Large chargers tended to be specially designed things of limited editions, of which only the perfect specimens would be marked and numbered.

The seconds still got sold, as with the paperweights, they're just not marked. I've been lucky enough to pick up a couple of lovely big chargers, unmarked myslef. One has a big lump hanging down from the base surface on one side. I honestly can't find the flaw in the other.  :)

Your charger/bowl has the added complication of the maker trying not to move the bubbles in the body while applying that heavy rim! :o

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand