No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruby cut to clear overlay goblet - 19thC glass? and what country  (Read 3909 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Ruby cut to clear overlay goblet - 19thC glass? and what country
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 10:10:08 PM »
I found a transcript of the film and the speakers on film discussed all the eggs apart from the mercury glass one and the reddy pink cut to clear one that I think is like my goblet! Can't believe it - I was so excited to find the transcript as well. Really irritating.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 01:08:03 PM »
It appears this goblet also came in blue.  This one has a different pattern and a star cut foot with what appears to be a 24point star cut foot - difficult to tell as the stem hides the cutting at the back, but from counting what's there a 24 point seems probable. But the shape is the same, and the clunky appearance of the cut stem.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOHEMIAN-BLUE-OVERLAY-CUT-GLASS-GOBBLET-/172168562245?hash=item28160bc645%3Ag%3At8cAAOSwwpdW6V2-&nma=true&si=CLybsvBGDrebiV0YHKobGEkcoFE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »
Well, sometimes things move on quite quickly :)

In the book BAGUIERS et VERRES À BOIRE du XIXème siècle. Leon Darnis 2014

on page 69,item no 75, Darnis shows a footed bowl (tazza / coupe) which ever word you prefer
in green with white overlay that has an identical foot.

It is identified as 'St Louis vers 1840- 1850'  Fluorescence Rose saumon'

http://verrehistoire.typepad.com/files/leon_darnis.pdf

I checked out this book, because as I stated earlier in the thread, this goblet has a curious orangey fluorescence.  I then came across a paperweight in the book La Cristallerie de Clichy where it was said it had a salmon coloured fluorescence.
Which lead me onto looking into French glass again.  Where a reference on a Bonhams auction on another thread gave this book by Leon Darnis.  And so ... to an id.

Sometimes it's the smallest detail is all you need.
I've been all round the world as usual.  I'm sad it's not Russian, but delighted it is St Louisand c.1840-1850 nice early piece of overlay( and that I had the date more or less correct in my thinking).  Wish I'd bought the blue one now.  If whoever bought it is reading - here is your id.

Thanks all for bearing with my ramblings
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 01:13:38 PM »
Didn't occur to me to put these side by side.
But the large goblet is a St Louis (marked) Chantilly in ruby (produced from 1958 I believe).
The smaller is I believe St Louis dated to c.1840-1850.
Doesn't appear to be any difference in colour so possibly they've been using the same recipe all those years.

Their website says ruby became their signature colour in 1837:

‘1837 : Saint-Louis produces the first mass-coloured crystal objects and makes ruby red its signature colour.’
and

'If, as Paul Claudel wrote, “glass is solidified breath”, then crystal is a spark of the human soul. Crystal glass was introduced in France by François de Beaufort, director of the Verreries Royales de Saint-Louis in 1781. Like glass, it was a material born of the earth and forest of the Vosges, in a cradle of fire, to which lead was added for weight, sonority, and light. To this fine white sand was added potash – originally plant ash, now chemically produced – as well as minium, or red lead.
And that is still the formula for clear, or colourless crystal. Coloured crystal is obtained by adding metal oxides to this mixture: nickel oxide for purple, cobalt oxide for Saint-Louis blue, copper with gold chloride for ruby red. ‘

Anyway, just thought it might be interesting to see them together :)
m
P.s. Ivo, if you're reading ...  'copper with gold chloride for ruby red.' ? Adds a whole new dimension to the discussion on ruby glass!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand