No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Porous brown mottled vase with slug-like handle  (Read 940 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Porous brown mottled vase with slug-like handle
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »
sorry if I sounded critical Anne, not intended remotely - your suggestion was good in a spontaneous way, and a creamer was my first thought.

As for age - unless something is at least early Victorian I think it's modern Sue ;) ;) :P        and of course I know nuffin about modern glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 08:30:13 PM »
Sorry Paul if I gave you the impression I was cross... please don't think that what you said, to what I said to what you.... God, my head's starting to spin... I didn't get the impression you were critical and I was only explaining my thoughts, that's all ... :-* ... no problems here.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 05:23:27 AM »
Thank you for the comments. 

Anne, I don't think the piece would work as a creamer -- there seems to be no way of holding the handle without having the piece slip from my grip.  (Sue, not only would you have stuff all over you, but you'd have to deal with picking up bits of glass from the floor  :'( )  But it was a perfectly good suggestion and I appreciate it.

Paul, no need to be sorry.  Though I would prefer to hear it's an older piece, I don't mind if it's newer. 

I would really like to know its origin, however. 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
While it coming from the Czech republic might indicate an origin there, the overall design and appearance is not inconsistent with the sort of work produced by Kosta Boda. I'm not overly familiar with Kosta, but have seen a fair bit of brand new stuff it in shops when abroad. It is always full of surprises!

But also, having been to the Musueum in Wroclaw, (and having a fabulous book illustrating the ceramics and glass of the 20th century of that museum, Anik  ;) ), I'm aware that in Polish glass factories, individual artists got to work and experiment with the hot glass and make studio-like pieces of glass in the early '60s.

I would be surprised if this did not happen in the Czech glass factories too.
I really think this is something rather good, Anik.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »
I've taken some pics of my little beige thing, which is marked (but I'm clueless who for), to compare the surfaces. I am clueless about the surface on this little thing (I don't even like it) I only bought it because of the peculiar surface and the mark, intending to find out about it later, but have never got around to it. ;D

I think I've managed to capture some of the rainbow iridesence in the second image - it appears inbetween the raised, rough bits.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 02:25:27 PM »
Another piece I have with a brown, speckly, pitted surface with a blue iridescent sheen is a goblet in the shape of a foot, by Bjorn Weckstrom. Piccies here. :)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,50103.msg283203.html#msg283203

My guts appear to be leaning in a Scandinavian direction. But I know so little about Czech glass, and there is so much to learn.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »
Thank you, Sue.  Your little vase is interesting, especially with the odd surface.  I wonder who made it?

I don't think my piece is Scandinavian. My gut is thinking Polish, my heart is hoping Czech.  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 06:55:16 PM »
 :)
Czech glass was ignored by collectors for years, until relatively recently. It took books to be written before it "took off".
I'm of the opinion that fabulous Polish glass has still to hit the market - folk, in general, do not have enough confidence in their own opinions to buy it, even if they do like it, and don't yet know don't know enough about it or the designers to prop up their opinions.
I reckon good Polish glass is the stuff to be collecting just now, if you can find any.
Horbowy and Nawrocki pieces are a little thin on the ground! ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand