No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art deco pair of vases or later?  (Read 459 times)

Offline zeffer

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art deco
    • London, UK
Art deco pair of vases or later?
« on: August 19, 2015, 07:13:55 PM »
Hi I am new to glass collecting and I am hoping someone can provide some help with identifying these very heavy vases which are 8 1/2" high with a 4 1/2" diameter.

I initially thought they were Art deco but now having a closer look they seem like they may be dated a bit later.  They do have air bubbles in the glass and have an irregular surface inside.

Thanks Yvonne

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Art deco pair of vases or later?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 07:34:14 PM »
Welcome to the form Yvonne.

Can you describe the bases or post a photo? Bases can provide valuable clues...

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »
hello Yvonne - welcome to the GMB :)               With a big apology to John  -  I'd just typed and then was trying to post.       John has already asked more or less the same question  -  hope he will forgive my letting this stand.

art deco is a term used to describe a style/form of decoration, rather than requiring that something was made between c. 1925 - 40 in order to qualify.             Many art/decorative objects are still made in the 'deco style' - it never really seems to go out of fashion entirely - I'm a big fan.
Like everything in life there is some subjective interpretation of exactly what qualifies, but as a generalization some form of geometric patterning with angular and rectilinear lines are found often in images of deco, and your thoughts were probably prompted by the short straight mitre lines on the surface.
My own opinion is that these are probably not deco, but as I say, that's just an opinion  -  others may disagree.

I suspect your vases are pressed, rather than cut  - may we see a good clear picture please of the base, and the top rim if possible.

Offline zeffer

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art deco
    • London, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:33:44 PM »
Wow thanks for your quick reply. Yes they definitely looked pressed not cut. I have attached photos of the top, bottom and also the detail where the indentations have marks going on the opposite direction. So for example a horizontal indented line has little vertical marks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 08:52:39 PM »
yes, they do appear to have been pressed - mould made.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand