Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Black Glass  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Black Glass
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 05:26:40 PM »
Hi Jane You need to to copy and paste the url under the picture in your photobucket album. That will direct us to the correct picture

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
Black Glass
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 05:27:18 PM »
Hi Jane,
I can't see any picture! All I get is the photobucket log in.

Offline jane rosemary

• Members
sorry guys
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 10:42:53 PM »
Will have another o thanks for help

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Black Glass
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 06:40:08 AM »
That's better.   :D  Are you sure it's glass? I would have said it was ceramic. If you hold it right over the bulb of a desk lamp you should be able to see light through it if it is glass. My black glass looks a lovely purple

Offline jane rosemary

• Members
Light Test
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 07:51:02 AM »
Morning Christine,
I have done your test with a lamp and there is a slight glow through the veins of the cabbage leaf where the glass is a bit thinner. It is dark aubergine.
You made me stop and think if this is ceramic it looks like it I know. But when you touch it - there is that cold feel of glass.
I love glass so am quite intrigued about this piece.
I have never seen anything like it before.
any further thoughts - cheers Jane

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
Black Glass
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 08:52:22 AM »
It might be part of a salad set with this being the larger bowl. Are there any numbers on the base?

I wonder if it could be French, Arcoroc perhaps?

I'm probably wrong.  :(

Offline jane rosemary

• Members
numbers?
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 09:13:16 AM »
Hi Tiger,
No there are no numbers or letters.
The only distinguishing marks are flaws that are usual in pressed glass - yet there are no seam marks from a mould. The inside that is very smooth has one burst bubble on the surface and a raised blob of glass that looks yellow.
On the base there is a crease mark and all the edges on rim are very smooth not rough like some pressed glass can be.
The base is not at all worn - I don't think it can have been used - or can it be new? Does pressed glass still get made today? Showing my ignorance now!

Offline Bernard C

• Committee
  • Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Black Glass
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 09:18:30 AM »
Quote from: "KevH"
... I suppose it's a bit like glass and metalwork from the same mould. See here for an example of a glass item made with an officially metalwork mould:
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/pressed/crownbox.htm

Kevin — without other evidence, that's only a possibility.   A registration could have been for just one design or decorative feature, for example, initially planned only in metal, but made in other materials later.   And other possibilities are known.   I think that there's a glass (III) lozenge punched into the metalwork of an early Walsh epergne.

A further possibility is an error, often found on registration lozenges, although more usually of the transposition type when working on a mirror image such as "71" for "17".   A final possibility is a simple communications error between management and the mouldmaker — they forgot to tell him to use a "III" in the handle, so he used the "I" that he was more familiar with.

If I had all the glass that has passed through my hands here, I would be able to show you just about every error or peculiarity you could dream up — and some you would have never imagined!

Quote from: "Tigerchips"
... I wonder if it could be French, Arcoroc perhaps? ...

TC — I was thinking the same, but couldn't remember the brand name!

Bernard C.  8)
Text and Images Copyright 200414 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Black Glass
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 12:13:32 PM »
Glass it is then. I don't think it's English - like Tiger and Bernard - French or American are certainly possibilities. I'll have a look at some French black glass my son has and in one of my books on American glass tonight and see if I can add anything

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com