No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black Glass  (Read 9944 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Black Glass
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2006, 04:54:56 PM »
I saw something similar today by Arcoroc. It was a clear glass salad bowl set in the shape of cabbage leaves. It was different to the black one because the cabbage stalk was running through the centre of the bowl. It was marked "Arcoroc, France" which could be seen on the inside of the bowl.

So they definetly do this sort of thing and judging by ebay, they also do black glass.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jane rosemary

• Members
Arcoroc
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 04:58:34 PM »
I think you may have cracked it Tiger.  I looked at some modern Arcoroc and saw a pasta plate for sale that looks exactly like the glass of my bowl. So perhaps it is a lettuce and not a cabbage and meant for your tossed salad.
Thanks everybody for solving the mystery and being so helpful.
You learn something new every day!   Cheers Jane :D  :D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Black Glass
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 05:48:57 PM »
Quote from: Lustrousstone
If you hold your bowl up to a bright light it should look deep purple (or possibly brown) if it is glass. Black glass is never actually black.

Apparently there is such a thing as completely opaque glass. See this discussion here:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6316.0.html

That was new to me!

Cathy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Black Glass
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 06:02:05 PM »
Well that's something I didn't know. I thought my claim was based on something Ivo or perhaps Bernard said in a thread I can't find now! I can remember holding up my black stand to test it.

Connie

Black Glass
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 06:05:23 PM »
Cathy - I think you misunderstood what I said or I didn't state it clearly enough.

Technically there is no true black glass.  It is all another color if you can get the light to penetrate it.  It is like the old question of when a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a sound  :lol:

On some pieces of black glass, the glass is too thick even at the edges for light to penetrate.  I have never experimented putting a high intensity light up to the edge of my black glass but if I could get a strong enough light source to penetrate then it would be another color.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Black Glass
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 06:14:10 PM »
Ah, I see! So it's true that there is no such thing as black glass; however, that doesn't mean that there is no such thing as opaque glass.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Black Glass
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 06:48:39 PM »
Light has dawned :idea: , or should I say darkness has fallen :lol:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Black Glass
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 08:24:41 PM »
sorry to be a nuisance but there IS such a thing as true black glass. It is called hyalith and was first formulated by count Bucquoy in the early 1900s. Not sure how ARC formulate their black glass (yes the item IS Arcopal) but Bagley's and Leerdam black are true black....

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Black Glass
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 09:52:54 PM »
Thanks, Ivo, for clearing that up. :) :)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I interpret that, and Connie's information, as meaning that you can't test what a piece is made of by holding it over a light.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Black Glass
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2006, 06:35:16 AM »
Thanks Ivo. Next mission find a piece of Bagley Jetique to test for herself. Shame most of the stuff about Bucquoy is not in English!

And the next question is do we know what colours hyalith? Iron = brown black, manganese = purple black, green black = ? and hyalith =??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand