No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cataloguing Caithnesss weights for you.  (Read 7705 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Cataloguing Caithnesss weights for you.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 02:47:24 PM »
Got a copy of charlton today (2nd Edition), very unimpressed with the print quality. Biggest surprise was that it did not include Caithness numbering, just the Colin Terris CT numbering. Is that numbering referred to by collectors? Is it useful to include it.

I will adapt the shapes names used by CT.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 02:52:22 PM »
Certainly I was disappointed that the Charlton didn't include the numbers that are actually written on the bases of the paperweights.  When looking for the name of an untitled early weight with just a number that would have been very useful indeed.

Instead, you have to plough through pages of rather similar looking grey orbs....
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 02:58:53 PM »
Frank I have a L/E Caithness weight here called Tyrolean Summer. If and when you want a pic let me know. I'll find the original box and cert to see the details.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 03:07:33 PM »
Hi Pat,

Thanks, I really have to get the current organisation sorted as I am swamped with images. Once I catch up I will be asking loud and clear :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 03:16:30 PM »
So having the Caithness codes is useful, I presume a table of codes with links to the relevant weights would help too.

The table could be constructed thus:

Caithness ID; CT Id; Name; Year of introduction;

I will also create either a table of designers to weights.... or a page/pages showing there designs without data but linked to the catalogue pages with data.

Shapes and other themes:

I will include weights in more than one theme... as/if appropriate.

ANOTHER option:
Use a catalogue type of database and generate pages on demand based on keywords, weight names, designer names, codes, year etc.
If I follow that route it will be more flexible but a costly development. Would collectors be willing to pay a one off subscription fee of, say about £10/$15?

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »
FYI  Cotswolds Collectables started charging for their Poole Pottery info pages last year, they charge £4.95 lifetime membership.  This seemed perfectly ok, but £10 feels a little steep for me.

I know the Charlton book costs even more though, so if there was actually all the info that is in there, plus extra stuff, and more colour...could be a bargain.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 05:51:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, as it will be just one maker, you are probably right about the price. I suppose if there are enough collectors to fund more than one edition of the book, a much lower price would cover costs.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 10:39:41 PM »
Realised I had problems organising an unknown number of weights into individual pages... so I have spent some time getting to grips with some new tools and have shoe-horned a shop thingy into a catalogue.

New approach

Original approach <--- Mod: dead link

Still got a lot of tweaking to do but would appreciate feedback. For those who contributed you will notice I have added details in some cases. The new version also has corrections. I still have to figure out how to get more items on the individual pages. Some pics link to the old page... that will be corrected.

Interesting that Pyramids and clocks do not feature in Charlton - so this catalogue will be a step further :P

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 02:31:37 PM »
Even some of the weights sent in and already on the site are not in Charlton so it seems there is also a black hole. I need Caithness catalogues, except 98 and 99.

Numbering is a problem as the basic lists are now sequenced by product code (SKU),  I am thinking about introducing my own numbering to give a better display sequence.

Caithness numbering: Ayynnn or Annnyy
A = L- Limited or U- Unlimited
yy = year (after 1999 I added x between the year and type letter to ensure correct sequence) but earlier years the year code follwed serial number.
nnn = serial number
later c.2000 the leading letter was dropped.

Planned: yyyyAnnnn

yyyy= 4 digit year
A = L- Limited or U- Unlimited X- Commissioned
nnnn a serial number... OR start of weight name (Which do you prefer)

As I am adding to the new scheme, I am adding the related designs and then when you click on product details you will see the related designs below. At the moment it limits to four related items but I will fix that later, there are 8 Orchid designs EXAMPLE

This means I am adding weights without images - if you find one which you have without an image, please send images now. Thank you.[/url]

Offline MHJ02

• Members
Cataloguing
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 08:55:32 PM »
All I can say Frank is - "well done you".   I don't know how you have the patience, but I know my daughter will be delighted as she has just bought her first Caithness paperweight and will find this site particular fascinating - so do I.  

Can't wait to see the site when completed!!

Regards
Mary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand