No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Henry Greener Blue Slag Glass Sugar Bowl & Creamer  (Read 2607 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Henry Greener Blue Slag Glass Sugar Bowl & Creamer
« on: August 29, 2015, 05:31:36 PM »
Henry Greener blue slag glass sugar bowl and creamer decorated in Shamrocks , Thistles & Roses, both marked with the Greener trade mark, the first mark I believe as not 100% clear.

There is also a taller pedestal sugar bowl than the one shown here. There is a green slag glass sugar bowl listed as Sowerby at present on ebay in Australia the same as the one shown here.
Height of sugar bowl 4" diameter 5.25"
Height of creamer 4.5"

Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Henry Greener Blue Slag Glass Sugar Bowl & Creamer
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:39:13 AM »
Thank you for showing these, Roy.

The trademark is definitely the 1st Lion mark (c1875 - c 1885).

I attach photos of the tall-pedestal sugar bowl and a matching creamer in green marbled glass, and also in white opaque glass (all bearing the 1st lion trademark but no RD number).

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:55:36 AM »
A matching dish or underplate in white opaque glass; diameter approximately 5.5 inches. Marked with the 1st lion trademark.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Bobby Cox).

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:22:47 AM »
An interesting comparison, I think, is Henry Greener's 'Beaconsfield' commemorative sugar & creamer RD 325547 of 31 August 1878.

In addition to the specific Beaconsfield commemorative decoration, these also have the shamrock, thistle and rose embossed decoration, and the overall shape and style of the pieces is very similar to those shown in the opening posts.

The date of the Beaconsfield design registration also correlates well with the 1st lion trademark ( although the Beaconsfield pieces only bear the registry date lozenge).

Fred.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
Hello Fred have you seen this one before, similar pattern to the ones on here, regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 05:18:43 PM »
Thank you for showing this, Chris. Nice photos.

No, I haven't come across one like it before, so I will add it to my growing list of unregistered Henry Greener designs.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand