No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art cut amber to uranium lead crystal fruit bowl. ID = Val St Lambert  (Read 67657 times)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Art cut amber to uranium lead crystal fruit bowl ID please
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 08:19:52 PM »
 :D Even that one's become a cliché  :-*

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 03:36:53 PM »
thought I'd just add this link here anyway, just in case.
I don't know anything about VSL or cut glass for that matter, but I have noticed that on some VSL items there appears to be a 'pattern' or 'thing' for cartouche type shapes. So on yours the cut-out cartouche contain the stars (if it is VSL)
on this one they contain flowers
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/dining-entertaining/bowls/art-deco-val-st-lambert-crystal-glass-bowl/id-f_780328/

Obviously you are waiting on further information and this design effect might be something seen on many cut glass items(as I said I've no idea)but I have noticed a 'thing/marker' for it on some of VSL's products.

Also the only other maker I can think of that did colour over colour in this manner is Stevens and Williams.  I do have a cut glass blue over pale blue and clear that I was told was Austrian plant pot c.1930.  So presumably other companies might have been doing this style but I can't think who to be honest.
m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 08:53:26 AM »
Well, having returned yesterday from MIA, I find myself this morning, sat on the floor with a coffee and  about 25 books littered around me ... big deception because not a word is mentioned about this type of glass.... not even in the book from Joseph Philippe, which is considered by many as the VSL Bible.... I'll never open it again!  :D ... I definitely would have expected to find something in this book  :-\
There are a few examples in catalogues from the 30ies, where it is only mentioned that the item is made of 'Cristal Urane' but nothing further on colour schemes, design patterns or even basically the production ... it's from my contact at VSL, a  'maitre-tailleur' that I have heard, that they stopped using uranium oxide for health reasons, and if I'm not mistaken, this was in the 30ies/40ies.

It is true that designs from this period often have a central decorative point, as mentioned above, but for me personally,  this is not enough to say it is or it isn't VSL .... my gut instinct says it isn't but one has never seen everything and I've been wrong before.... so as they say over here ... je me réserve ...

I need to return to VSL, to have a couple of items repolished and I'll ask again this week ... also, the shop's still open (funny that, the factory's closed for production right now, but they continue selling) and behind the counter, there's an office where they keep a lot of catalogues. One of the ladies working there has been kind enough in the past to help me out with any questions I had, but the other one is practically wearing a 'Do not disturb' sign, so if I'm lucky, and if you don't mind me showing the images in this thread, I'll ask for further information, and see what they can tell me.... fingers crossed.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 09:01:05 AM »
Thanks for looking Anne. It would be really good if you could ask the nice lady. The bowl did come from the Netherlands and the relatively simple style and edge style (semi-circular cuts) do not seem out of place for VSL according to one catalogue I found online (Corning I think)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »
Is that the 1919-1930 Fantasy Crystal catalogue, Christine?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »
I think so; I forgot to bookmark it

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 09:16:46 AM »
http://www.vsl-history.be/catalogues1900.htm
You should be able to scroll down on this link and see the catalogues post 1900

On the left in the link there are further links.
I have had a look but not been able to find - sorry.
Cristaux de Fantaisie is there as well
m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 09:21:44 AM »
I had a look in it before and I just did again.... the Fantasy Cristal catalogue, for the international and mainly American market, that I have is incomplete, I have 2/3 of it ... the 1926 catalogue 'Cristaux de Fantaisie' for the Belgian and French market that I have here,  is complete but the range is smaller... no surprise when 70-90% of the production was made for export ... the shape is there but you would have to agree with me that you could find this shape anywhere ... so for me, that doesn't confirm one or the other ...

I haven't come across anything that has the same pattern, or even anything that looks like it, but for now, that doesn't mean anything, I'd like to keep all options open ... we'll see what they say at HQ  :D

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 09:25:43 AM »
Sorry, just crossed messages... the link is the site of Philippe Collard, if I'm not mistaken, but the catalogues are just 'announced' if you like, you can't open them, unless I'm doing something wrong ... unfortunately he hasn't continued working on this site... it's been like this for yonks ....

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 09:27:12 AM »
Anne, what date is the Cristaux de Fantaisie produced please?  is it earlier than 1940's?
Thank you
Yes you can open them and scroll down but they are quite small, they do not enlarge to full screen I'm afraid.
Shame, because it looked as though there might be some good information on there.
Shame he didn't open it up to others to add information as they found it or something similar.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand