No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art cut amber to uranium lead crystal fruit bowl. ID = Val St Lambert  (Read 67786 times)

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
Re: Art cut amber to uranium lead crystal fruit bowl ID please
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2015, 04:15:37 PM »
And then to think I almost didn't buy it.
Luckily the antique fair was close to home so I went back for it.
And the price was so low  :) :o I thought oh well, it can always be used in the kitchen.
I'm glad so many people got direct or indirect enjoyment out of it.

Patricia 
Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Art cut amber to uranium lead crystal fruit bowl. ID = Val St Lambert
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »
I thought you might like to see this.  Sold through Sotheby's in 2007 under Russian Sale Works of Art.
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/lot.389.lotnum.html/2007/russian-sale-works-of-art-faberge-l07113

'A silver-mounted coloured glass claret jug, Adrian Ivanov, Moscow, 1908-1917
the tapering orange and yellow body cut with diamond facets within elipses, the handle and collar with chased bands of stylised grapes and vine leaves, knop finial, 84 standard
height: 29.2cm, 11 1/2 in'

I have seen uranium glass used in Russian Glass and dredging my memory, something makes me think I also have seen a two colour overlay glass piece in a museum collection in Russia, but as I recall that was dark green over yellow I think.  No makers label on it though as I remember checking.

However, the shape and the notching up the neck of the body look familiar as 'VSL' identifiers perhaps, so an option is that the body is VSL and the silver is Russian. 

m

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2019, 09:45:35 PM »
Not really linked to Christine's bowl as it's different design and different colours, but the discussion sometimes comes up re coloured overlay glass cut over uranium glass.
 I've just come across a very dark red cut bowl cut to uranium on a Russian site, similar shape to this one but different design and it is being sold as J. Riedel.  I don't know if that id is correct or not ( I don't have the Riedel book and my knowledge of Riedel glass is absolutely minimal) but just thought I'd add the info in case the discussion re cut to uranium comes up again.

https://www.livemaster.ru/item/30057305-vintazh-vaza-dlya-fruktov-salatnitsa-uranovoe-steklo-j-riedel

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2019, 07:39:34 AM »
and another from  Wilhelm Steigerwald Regenhütte:

https://antikes-glas.de/en/regenhuette/stemmed-glass-roman-wilhsteigerwald-regenhuette-1920-p-1070.html

also orange coloured glass over uranium - the bowl cut and coloured orange over uranium, the stem clear

m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2019, 07:21:52 AM »
Hey M,

I had not noticed your message from January  ::)

Your theory's correct, the body of the jug is by VSL. I don't think it has been altered but a customised order. It is illustrated in the 1908 catalogue as a decanter without the silver mounting and is called 'Sabine', shape and pattern both have this name. Normally the neck would have been bit longer and with stopper it would have been available in two sizes, 32,5 cm and 25 cm. They probably had to shorten the neck otherwise  the handle would have ended up too high on this piece, it would  have been too heavy at the bottom, making using it awkward and difficult to incline to pour whatever it was filled with.

I have learned recently that at VSL at the time anything was possible, different patterns on different models, anything could be discussed and customised and this is one of the reasons that a lot is not catalogued and as this jug was made to order, it wouldn't have been catalogued anyway. I have often wondered why a lot is not documented but this makes sense. Imagine being invited at a high society dinner party at the time. Your crystal glassware was a statement and you didn't want the same as mr and mrs X ... you wanted something even better and more impressive, just to show off and show everybody how well-off you were. VSL, amongst other i guess, played in on this and basically created an 'options menu', from which you could choose and actually, that still excists today. The finished product wasn't and isn't just that, it can be personalised and altered to any requirements.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2019, 07:31:01 AM »
Hi :)

That's good to know. Thank you for providing all the details.  I thought it looked 'familiar'.
It doesn't surprise me that items could be customised. 
I have read somewhere (don't quote me), that glass from VSL was supplied to the USA for cutting as well iirc.

m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2019, 07:34:15 AM »
No that is incorrect, everything was done on the spot. The technique however, did come from America and the name 'taille americaine' or American cut is still used today.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2019, 07:50:12 AM »
flying free said:
'I have read somewhere (don't quote me), that glass from VSL was supplied to the USA for cutting as well iirc.'

Anne Tique said:
'No that is incorrect, everything was done on the spot. The technique however, did come from America and the name 'taille americaine' or American cut is still used today.'

Thank you for clarifying that.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2019, 06:48:13 PM »
This is one from the Hermitage Museum collection c.1843

Gold ruby glass over green:

https://www.hermitagemuseum.org/wps/wcm/connect/88acff60-75e4-4300-be1a-79bacb4a413d/WOA_IMAGE_1.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&06a9159f-a5b6-4b6e-8f92-f6b2e378c9f7

"Medici" Vase

Place of creation:

Russia
Manufacture, workshop, firm:

Imperial Glass Factory

Authors:

Designed by: Ivanov, Ivan (?). 1779-1848
Date:

c.1843
Material:

two-layered glass: "gold ruby" and green, bronze
Technique:

carving, painted in gold

Dimensions:

50,0x20,0x20,0 cm

Acquisition date:

Entered the Hermitage in 1962; purchased from a private person

Inventory Number:

ЭРС-2500

https://www.hermitagemuseum.org/wps/portal/hermitage/digital-collection/08.%20applied%20arts/990252/!ut/p/z1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfIjo8zi_R0dzQyNnQ28_J1NXQwc_YMCTIOc_dwNDE30w8EKDHAARwP9KGL041EQhd94L0IWAH1gVOTr7JuuH1WQWJKhm5mXlq8fYWChp5BYUJCTmZqikFhUUqwfYWlpYGRqBHRPFJqJnt7mQBNDTD38_cOcjZxNoArwuKkgNzSiysfDINNRUREAqxx8DA!!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?lng=en

Offline CollectoMundi

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • Belgium
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2020, 06:49:35 AM »
Dear all, I can confirm this is a Val Saint Lambert Uranium and orange vase - both colours have been discontinued since many years.

I'd attribute this model to Joseph Simon judging on the cut and the model would be made around 1920-1935

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand