No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian 'Stella Polaris' decanter?  (Read 10014 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Italian 'Stella Polaris' decanter?
« on: June 27, 2006, 09:22:23 AM »
Oh dear, I think I've made a mistake!  I bought this 'Stella Polaris' decanter on a whim, and didn't bother to check with any books.  Now I've got it in my hands, I think it's an Italian copy.  It's impressed 'R1' on the base.

Does anyone else agree it's not the real deal?  I'm hoping I might be wrong!  Still, it only cost 99p plus postage, so it could be worse.  :x

http://i5.tinypic.com/15x4n6p.jpg

PS:  The cupboard handle/knobs are by Adam Aaronson  :wink:  :D
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Vecila

• Members
Stella Polaris
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 03:23:23 PM »
I have a Stella Polaris and in comparing mine to your photo, they appear close in design.  What I did not see in yours (perhaps just not evident in the photo)were three small "bubbles" positioned among the three largest center "bubbles".  Also, the original has no stopper but then I have seen several RL decanters that have had stoppers added in later or special order productions.  Are you sure the letters you see on the base are not RL?  It would help if you took a photo straight on so the proportions are evident.  Nice decanter for the price anyway!
Alice--who adores Finnish glass from the 60-70s in yellow uranium glass!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 03:30:07 PM »
Max, I have one of these and always wondered. It's a little smaller than my other Stella's. However I don't really care 'cos I like it! I can't go look at it because at the moment it's packed away with most of my glass due to house remodelling etc etc.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 06:08:36 PM »
Hi Max,  :lol:  :lol:

It seems like a few of the vases, ie. Sun bottle vase, Stella Polaris, Piironki, Emma,  etc., had variations and were also made as decanters. They are just a variation on....
I have just bought an Emma(n) decanter.

So, it seems like your Stella Polaris is actually Riihimaen Lasi Oy. Well worth your 99p IMHO.  :wink:  :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 06:27:06 PM »
Oh dear Della!  I just gave the decanter to the Oxfam shop!  :shock:  :shock:  :lol:  :evil:  :roll:
I am not a man

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 06:30:47 PM »
Oh no.  :?  I thought that it was Stella Polaris when you first posted, but I didn't want to say until I had done a little checking first, to make sure.

I am sooooo sorry  :cry:  Next time, I will just go with my gut instinct and speak up.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 06:32:48 PM »
I seem to recall the ones with impressed numbers were the Italian knock-offs. But I might be wrong.

There was a thread about them some time ago on here with a link to a site which had dozens of variations from Italy and Riihimaen - but I can't find it, so it may have been in the Cafe forum and long since vanished.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 06:36:52 PM »
:oops:  :oops:  I didn't see the bit with the impressed number (in Max's post anyhow).....how dumb of me. Thanks for pointing it out to me Nic.

The ones that I have recently handled, did not have any numbers impressed or otherwise.

Now I don't feel too bad........... :roll:

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 07:11:30 PM »
So Della, these Emma decanters are really riihimaen then? Max and I thought not when they first surfaced as they are not in designlasin. However I don't think designlasin is totally complete of everything by the designers it lists. What do you think?

Pat
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 07:34:33 PM »
Hi Pat,

I am convinced that some of them are. I have handled 'The Dice is thrown' vase this week, by E.T. Siiroinen, and a Sun bottle, by Helena Tynell, both with stoppers and both of which I already have, without stoppers, so comparing was not too difficult. They were definitely from the same manufacturer. Colour, mould line, etc., were identical.
As for the Emma vase, I have only compared two of them, both different colours and the decanter not being clear cased. I have a blue one which is due to arrive, so I will compare it to the other blue Riihimaen glass that I have when it gets here.

I have the designlasin book, unfortunately, even though there is a rough translation guide at the back, it is not understandable to me in its entirety and there are also a lot of words which cannot be found at the back of the book either.
I will continue to try and find out more information and let you know if I find out anything else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand