No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An Alabaster day out !  (Read 800 times)

Offline keith

• Members
An Alabaster day out !
« on: September 20, 2015, 04:13:13 PM »
Picked these up today, two of the tumblers have a couple of nibbles but the price was so good I couldn't resist, no surprise there then  ::) the little 'mug' is just two inches tall,  ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: An Alabaster day out !
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 05:18:20 PM »
I think the lemonade set is Josephinenhutte, it is uranium for a start (I did handle it today).

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »
The mug is a mustard missing it's lid (you know that don't you? at least that's what I was led to believe from somewhere that it was :) ) but still a beautiful piece and gorgeous shape. 
They managed a fab pink on them as well - the pink is just a beautiful colour apparently made with gold in the mix. Might be why when it's the bright pink it looks so amazing under lighting.
I have completed my collection as I have the cinnamon and yellow I'd been looking for.
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 05:49:35 PM »
John, very uranium ! so maybe not S&W's was any of  their alabaster range reactive ? it has a 'brighter' white than the other S&W's pieces I have so you're probably right.
M, no I didn't realise that it was a mustard pot, never mind, I've still got quite a few to catch you up  ;D

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »
The few green bits that were definitely S&W that I have had did not react to UV at all.

These two both glowed brightly with a bit of UV. My utterly non rigorous hunch is that they were both made by Josephinenhutte, both had neat polished pontil marks and both were made with quite bubbly glass, more bubbly at any rate than your average bit of S&W Alabaster...

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 03:16:45 PM »
I saw that set, I ran out of money on the outer stalls, (the pot was from our favourite antiques dealer), it's in the crystal years page 26.

Chris Parry

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »
So it is, the times I've been through that book you'd have thought I'd have known the lid was missing  ::) There were a lot of stalls that day !

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »
Looks like you were right John, Mike Moir ( hope that's how you spell his surname  ::) ) confirmed your attribution of Josephinenhutte , ta,  ;D ;D

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 06:44:40 AM »
I had one of those swans a while back, I wish i'd kept it now. Very similar to the Loetz swan too. https://sites.google.com/site/loetzglass/loetz-shell-vases-and-figural-pieces
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 09:36:59 AM »
Interesting TC, the very same design to my eye, the conch shells look pretty similar too. Nothing new under the sun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand