No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Baby elephant....possibly (suspected !) Malta Decorative Glass  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Baby elephant....possibly (suspected !) Malta Decorative Glass
« on: September 23, 2015, 04:09:22 PM »
I think this baby elephant could possibly be MDG (Malta Decorative Glass)...If anyone has a similar elle with a label (of any sort !) then please let me know . To the top of it's head it is 2 1/4 inches tall (approx). Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Baby elephant....possibly (suspected !) Malta Decorative Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 04:10:57 PM »
Similar in style to this one............
Mike

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 09:19:17 PM »
Hi Mike,

Everything looks right with your new elephant. 

Shape and colour spot on.

Cheers,
              Patrick.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:09:25 AM »
Thanks Patrick, it's very cute and if I was a child on holiday in Malta back in the mid-seventies (assuming it is Maltese) I would have pestered my parents to buy it for me !

Cheers, Mike
Mike

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »
Hi Mike, there doesn't seem to be any bubbles in it? Also does it have the suspected Batutto base?
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »
I would say yes... I have several, and yours looks the same... The trunk is not quite so thin and fine... but if it has a battuto finished base, then I would say it was either Malta Craft or Malta Decorative Glass.  My unspeckled amber ones have the CGL  label. 
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 07:36:24 AM »
Thanks Wolfie & Rosie,

Sorry for my delay in replying  ;)

The bases on the speckled one and the blue one have both been quite well polished. There is a slight dullness though to both bases. If you catch the light right on both bases  you can just see the 'shadows' of battuto lines crossing the whole of both bases . The battuto effect is there but less pronounced (due to more polishing)  than on some other MDG examples I have.

Here is a pic. of the base. It seems to have been made with a clear glass core (or lighter blue perhaps) and then cased in a darker blue colour . Cheers, Mike.

Mike

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »
Do you have any similar coloured other animals and if so do they have flint cores? This is not a MDG feature I am aware of.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 02:57:59 PM »
Well there are these three here........I have seen a photo of an amber version of the donkey with a group of animals on a Maltese website and in the group there was an MDG speckled rabbit with cane eyes . So the donkey might well be MDG too. The blue donkey has a much darker head than the main part of the body where the glass is at it thickest, the same goes with the penguin to the right which also has a gradation of darker blue to the head and lighter towards the base. I also have another similar blue donkey, where there is a variation in the blue colour . It could be that the donkeys have a lighter colour blue as a core. Both donkeys have 'battuto' bases. Cheers Mike.

Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 01:17:03 PM »
I've added a further pic. of the donkey which I hope illustrates the colour difference between the head and the central part of the body. The latter is very clear with little colour and you can see through to the white paper in the background (the lighter area in the middle is not a reflection of any light). The head on the other hand is much darker. The eyes are made with very tiny canes.
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand