No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Pulled Ear Jug  (Read 2365 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Mdina Pulled Ear Jug
« on: September 29, 2015, 06:59:32 PM »
I found this Mdina glass pulled ear jug today . I cannot find much information or pictures of another one on the web and do not have the Mdina Glass book at present.

I be interested to know what age people think the jug may be. Compared to a vase that I have put it side by side it is smaller so maybe quite early.
Height 5.5" and weighs 1060gm.
The vase is not marked.

Thanks Roy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Mdina Pulled Ear Jug
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 07:20:33 PM »
Don't know about age but I have seen another one.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 06:42:23 AM »
That is an unusual variation, ditto, not seen another. Presumably made by V Boffo, if so then it is likely to be mid 70s I guess (sometime before he left to work at MDG).

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 11:32:51 AM »
I've not seen one before, but I do have a vase with pulled ears, and I did see another vase on that auction site, just recently, so we know it was not just the bottles that were made with pulled ears.

According to the book, jugs were things made by the Boffos in their own time and sold for themselves, that would put this jug to a pre-MDG period.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »
I've not seen one before, but I do have a vase with pulled ears, and I did see another vase on that auction site, just recently, so we know it was not just the bottles that were made with pulled ears.

According to the book, jugs were things made by the Boffos in their own time and sold for themselves, that would put this jug to a pre-MDG period.

I am a bit confused by your post. Do you mean you have vases other than pulled ear vases with pulled ears?

I have 8 pulled ear vases. But never seen another type of vase with ears. Do you have a photo?

I have also recently seen another pulled ear jug, most likely in the same place that Lustrousstone saw one.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 02:41:14 PM »
Normal Pulled Ear pieces are bottles with flared rims, either of a button or wide flange construction, rather than proper vases, the sort you could put dead vegetation in. :)

Wide necked, proper vases with pulled ears are far less common, I have one and saw another for sale recently.
I don't currently have a pic to post, will add it to my "to do" list. ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 02:49:58 PM »
Ok I don't think of them as bottles but I understand your post now. Thank you.

I also have a long to do list so no worries. I will keep my eye out for one to add to my collection now I know they exist :)

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 03:52:56 AM »
Thank you all for your replies and help in dating the jug ..

Thanks Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand