No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Latest monart for show - Shape GI  (Read 2454 times)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Latest monart for show - Shape GI
« on: September 30, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »
Latest one - I'm sure some (or one) of you have seen this  ;)

Shape GI, size V - rather large at almost 12" , lovely stripy spiral pattern (one set of stripes vertical and the other twisting round to the right) generous sprinkling of Mica at the top.

Pictures not great - sorry!

The base is damaged - it's not an annealing crack - when you hold it up to the light and look down into it you can see the shape of the original large round pontil mark, this has been ground down to make the base flat, but in places it has been ground so thin the glass has gone through creating a hole!!

Interestingly this is actually a lamp base as the inside has been acid washed - so this raises the question would this have been done before the base grinding - if not, would they have bothered given the base was so thin!

Would have looked lovely lit up from inside  ;D

anyone got a spare lamp fitting?  ;) 3" internal diameter and  3 and 5/8" external diam.

Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Latest monart for show - Shape GI
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »
A nice Monart lamp base (for a fabric shade) in a delightful colour scheme, particularly like the silver mica,which I don't think I have seen on a Monart lamp.
Do the vertical lines run from top to bottom.
Could you post a clearer photo of base.

Though that particular shape is not shown in the Monart lighting catalogue, l believe it is a lamp base.
Monart did produce lamp base not shown in the catalogue. I have a RA shape with an acid etched interior and that shape is not in the lighting catalogue.

I have been looking for ages  for a Monart light fitting to no avail. So I have decided to construct my own.
Below are images of bulb holders and a reducer.
The link is for a selection fittings for lamp base. Remember to fit max 15 watt bulb on lower holder.
I would advise you to get an electrician to wire and fit it together.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141227574937?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I believe grinding the piece was the last thing done prior to the label being stuck on.
Gary

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:54:38 PM »
Thanks for that Gary, I'll try and get one made up when I get some time!

Difficult to tell which way the vertical stripes run due to the amount of mica - I'll try to bet a better look in the daylight. I need to get my camera out and get some better base shots - these were done in a rush with my phone!

Must admit I was a bit surprised when i saw the inside - I wasn't expecting that, but I bet it would look stunning lit up from inside.

will post some more images when I get chance  :D
Roberta

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 09:22:17 AM »
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post all this Roberta. It is a lovely thing. Very subtle. I get a sort of "gentle" feeling from it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »
More pictures - I can't tell where the vertical stripes start - they are faint at the base but the top ends in long thin bubbles.
Roberta

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »
Just thought I'd post some pictures of the lamp base lit as it would have been intended, using my Monart fitting from another lamp (very kindly re-wired by Gary - thank you Gary  :-*.) It is the wrong size of course, but shows up the stripes beautifully.
Roberta

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
I sorry about this Roberta, but am I the only person viewing the photos and thinking "Where's the foot gone to?"........

If the base is that thin something has happened to this vase/lamp base since it left the factory IMHO. The scenario that comes to mind is a badly chipped foot giving one option - take it off completely, giving a flat base (and a saleable/useful item).

I don't know where you bought this piece, but I'm sure there was a similar one at auction recently - sadly I don't record all the pieces that go through the system, so maybe it's just my little grey cells letting me down........again!!!

Nigel

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 09:25:06 AM »
Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the comments.
 It was at auction recently but withdrawn due to the issue but as I was there anyway I made an offer! It was only cheap so it doesn't matter to me!! It looks great on display.

I'm not aware of this shape having ever had a foot, and the base may well have been ground down - but quite a while ago as there is lots of wear on it - it looks exactly as other pieces of Monart with this ground base. It's only thin where the pontil scar would have been  - the circular shape is still visible when you look through it.

I would be interested if anyone has seen this shape with a base.  :D

Modified to add - Red faced now  :-[ :-[ - you are correct - having looked again, don't know how i missed it - shape RF had a foot!! Bow down to the master of knowledge when it comes to glass.  ;D  Thank you Nigel
Roberta

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 07:17:43 PM »
Nigel strikes again , cant pull the wool over his eyes when it comes to monart , surprised no one else picked this up
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 07:49:38 PM »
Well - we all learn along the way  - where were you Gary?  :P  ;D
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia