No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large English Pheasant Figurine. ID = Verlys "Le Faisan"  (Read 688 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Large English Pheasant Figurine. ID = Verlys "Le Faisan"
« on: October 01, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »
Hate to ask, however this is from DW's cousin who just recently had her mom pass. This pheasant was purchased in London during the early 60s from a trip her mom made & had it shipped over here. Guess its 14" length. Pictures are from DW's cousin & I know nothing about european glass animals...not even certain its English. Thanks for anything you might add to help her out. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Large English Pheasant Figurine
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:31:25 PM »
I don't know if it's the light ... as if  the pheasant has a slightly different posture but it looks like 'Le Faisan' by Verlys.

http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Verlys-1934.336+B6YmFja1BJRD0zMzYmcHJvZHVjdElEPTEzNjYxJnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTMzNiZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 07:06:14 PM »
Close scrutiny tells me it is "spot on". The grouping and number of branches in the fern leaves match. And the breast and wing feathers have the same main features. The back and tail feathers show the same major features. Proportionately, the height and length are, as best as I can tell, also a match.
KevinH

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:09:32 PM »
Anne & Kevin my wife wishes to thank both of you for helping out her cousin, she very much appreciates this. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Large English Pheasant Figurine. ID = Verlys "Le Faisan"
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 02:18:25 AM »
There should be a pressed signature somewhere, but they're not always easy to spot... I've got a Verlys vase with pearled handles and it took me several days to find it as it is in the curve at the very bottom of the vase, off-centre on the inside, against the handle. They must've had fun at the time :D  Maybe these pieces are signed more 'logically', on the base or terrace ... besides having seen them a few times,  I've actually never handled one of these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand