No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown shape IoW vase with pulling rim orange splodges and trailing  (Read 1391 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Not seen this one before though it does have traits of the Blossoms and Orchids range
Had a good look through the 'book' and Anton's site and cannot find it unless I'm not looking in the right place.
Stands around 4" high the splodges mainly bright orange with a couple which are brown. It resembles a sack or bag with the top rolled over with the trail forming handles at the sides ?

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Unknown shape IoW vase with pulling rim orange splodges and trailing
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 10:41:40 PM »
Base

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:38:04 AM »
Either a trial or experimental piece, or something from the "maker's shelves".
Completely non-standard and not any range.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:37:53 AM »
Can understand why it never got beyond the 'trial' stage it does have one thing going for it, at least I can safely describe it as rare.

Offline glastitute

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • making
    • england
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 12:09:35 AM »
Nice find Chris,I will offer you 598 pence for it now :o

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 12:25:23 AM »
Thank you for the friendly positive comment I don't collect glass of any description barring a couple of Carling glasses but it's nice to have your 'special' finds acknowledged now and again it's gives you a reason to get up at 6am to go out and find some more. Do you know much about IoW Studio Glass not seen much at all with bright orange splodges with Amethyst trailing I think it's quite a rare thing I have been through the IoW site and can find nothing that resembles this piece. I realise you are new so you probably didn't know but it's frowned on  to mention  money on here.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 05:53:34 AM »
It's not frowned on to mention money at all. It's inadvisable to offer valuations.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 07:40:36 AM »
When developing a new range or pushing an idea, quite a few items would have been made. Each one would have been assessed before the next variation was attempted. If these experimental items were successful enough to sell they went onto the 'glassmakers shelf' in the shop and were sold.

A while ago I had a chance to view a large collection of these items and it was fascinating to see the development of an idea through a number of pieces. I would guess Chris that yours could date back to Orchid and Lilly trials, the label would not be out of place for that anyway (early 1980s).

The following little pin dish does not quite fall into any known range, it also had a triangular black label.

John

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 01:37:58 PM »
I meant Orchid and Lilly John with a splash of 4 Seasons Autumn  not Blossoms thrown in   :) Poor photos don't help but looking at it 3 dimensionally it's very much like a draw string purse the trail being the string with a loop at either side with the top rolled over like a sack. 

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 09:01:45 PM »
Just got a bit of Seasons and it has a similar sort of trail, the same kind of time frame too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand