No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: STK Paperweight Bowl  (Read 3344 times)

Offline cxgirl

• Members
STK Paperweight Bowl
« on: October 05, 2015, 12:18:47 AM »
Hi,
Here is a bowl that came in a Perthshire box and is marked STK. From reading past posts this is the signature cane for John Deacon used on  a line called St Kilda. So is this a perthshire piece or just been put in the wrong box?
Mary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cxgirl

• Members
Re: STK Paperweight Bowl
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:44:35 AM »
I just found a similar bowl that has a label in place that says Crieff Glass Ladymill Glassworks Dallerie, so not Perthshire.
Mary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »
John Deacons told me he was asked in 1983 to design sand make an exclusive range of paperweights for the De Cora Import Company who were then in New York but this new range need a name so John named in St Kilda, after an island in the Hebrides, and made weights with an StK cane. This were actually made in the J Glass factory as was his first company and was still in operation then. St Kilda was not a company - just a brand name.
John's home is called Ladymill House so I hope this explains everything for you
Dave

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 02:00:11 PM »
I was shown a weight with a weird STK cane in it just last week - the letters are all reversed, a mirror-image, back-to-front.
Is that unusual? Is it just from the cane being accidentally put in the wrong way up?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »
Yes, Sue, the cane was inserted the wrong way round.

It happens occasionally. I have an early Ysart weight, probably made by Salvador, with a reversed "S" cane.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 05:56:44 PM »
Thanks, Kev.
The owner of the weight and I were much bemused by it, debating about what ends of sticks of rock would look like from the wrong side...  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 06:11:34 PM »
It could be ok if a word was in capitals and was palindromic. I wonder how many words would be possible? Sounds like Cafe material to me!!
KevinH

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »
Canes being put into a paperweight the wrong way round - or inverted - are nothing new. Take a look a my Bacarrat from 1848 - a drop too much wine with lunch perhaps ?
I did a long text in  my previous reply, edited it but forgot to alter the date so just to clarify matters; the De Cora Import Company were the main importers of Whitefriars to the USA and a lot of people thought when Whitefriars closed they had the StK weights made as a replacement but this is not so. John Deacons told my they actually approached him late 1979 or early 1980 before Whitefriars closed.
I have seen quite a few weights incorrectly advertised in Ebay as someone had put them in the wrong box, for example a Murano in a Perthshire box made the seller think they had a valuable weight so this can be misleading.
Dave

Offline cxgirl

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 10:26:24 PM »
sorry, I missed these posts.
Thank-you for the information Dave! If this was made in the J Glass factory, would this  be considered St Kilda made by J glass or just referred to as a St Kilda paperweight?
Mary

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 10:58:16 AM »
Hi Mary
I think your weight should be referred to as a St Kilda. J glass was a company John Deacons set up in 1978 and he could make whatever he liked there but St Kilda was just a brand name John used. He also made some weights with an StA cane called St Andrews, again in the J Glass factory. Due to a recession John closed the J Glass company in 1983 but I believe he still made a few StK weights afterwards when he worked on his own.
Hope this helps
Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand