No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass dish ELWELL'S Harlow, Essex  (Read 7565 times)

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Glass dish ELWELL'S Harlow, Essex
« on: December 11, 2004, 05:04:17 AM »
Hi Everyone
I have found this small yellow glass dish, 6" across by 2" high, base is 2.25" in diameter, has a nice ring when tapped.

There is a paper label for Elwell's, a retailer I think, here are links to photos.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/d554to/Elwells1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/d554to/Elwells2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/d554to/Elwells3.jpg

Would br greatful for any INFO on this,

Frank.
This glass is like some of the glass on your web site, but I wont drop any names !!!

Tony H

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 07:40:24 AM »
Tony:

Classic Nazeing cloudy.   Harry Elwell was always their major outlet for art glass; after the war virtually the only outlet.   No pattern number, the 1930s catalogue gives Posy bowl.  Sizes 5", 7½", 10", 12", 14".   As you can see, they did not always keep to their catalogue sizes.   The shape was also made in bubbly and natural colour with rib.

Note that Elwell's labels are also found on Gray-Stan, and, possibly, on Whitefriars.

Sourced from Timberlake, 2003.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 07:54:42 AM »
Hi Bernard
Thank you for your help, I did not expect Nazeing, it was the label that caught my interest.

Tony H

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 08:05:10 AM »
Hi Tony,

You surprised me with it, as I had not expected Nazeing in NZ.   Your mushroom posy must have got there in someone's possessions or as a gift.

Anything is possible, however.   A year or two back a classic Nazeing piece from the USA turned up on eBay, acid-badged ENGLAND, proving that it must have been deliberately made for export to the USA.

Regards, Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 02:29:16 PM »
Tony - nice to see such a good example of the Elwell label, that's a good find.

Bernard - no need to be surprised at what can found in New Zealand, There is all sorts of British glassware sitting in peoples' homes that they took with them when they emigrated. And yes, there are no doubt many items that were sent out as family gifts.

Even a rare, and very large, Paul Ysart paperweight was seen in NZ, in the 1960s, in the offices of an importer of Wedgwood Jasperware! The folk who spotted this item wrote to the importer some 20 years later, when they had become interested in paperweight collecting. It turned out that the importer had also handled Monart for a short time (I don't know which period this was) and he had obtained the weight directly form Moncrieff's in Perth.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 04:24:02 PM »
John Paine were importers of Monart glass and weights to NZ in the 1930's, possibly 50's too.

Needs someone in NZ to delve deeper into the company papers if they, the papers, still exist.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Glass Dish, ELWELL'S Harlow, Essex
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 09:32:45 AM »
Hello Tony,

Thanks for the link to this thread.

In my opinion the posy bowl shown here is in the catagory of unknown (see thread "Is it Clutha Glass", for other readers), since the shape is not that of Nazeing's Posy Bowl as shown in the catalogue pages in Timberlake.

Those catalogue pages only show a view of the top of the posy bowls and not their profiles. All the examples of known and documentable Nazeing, including shape, colour and finish, that I'm aware of do not have this cylinderical form to the base. Additionally the rim should be wider in proportion to the base.  

What this proves is that Elwell were selling, and therefore buying this type of glass. It takes us a step closer to finding out about these pieces, but it does not prove them to be Nazeing just because it has an Elwell label and has a similar look. Having said that, how do we know that it isn't the 'Elwell range' with the snapped off pontil's, referred to in 'Timberlake', and that I refer to in the other thread?

The answer is that we don't. To my mind this is a very useful piece of a jigsaw puzzle, but it does not answer the question catagoically.

Kind regards, Nigel

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 06:38:08 AM »
Frank
Can you give me somemore info on John Paine as I would like to see if there are any records about him or his company here in New Zealand

Tony H in NZ

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 01:37:12 PM »
Tony, as this is a seller's label on a posy can we add the label details to the gallery please? It'd be useful for future reference. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 06:54:20 PM »
Here is a follow-up I had from one of your fellow NZ's

John Raine and Co.John Raine was a large importer of China and were agents for Wedgwood /Royal Albert and a number of other English  Manufacturers so Monart would fit quite comfortably into their product range.A close friend of mine married John Raines daughter but unfortunately they are now divorced.Jenny told me once that her parents had about 40 dinner services given to them by various principles and they had to have special cupboards made and had to make sure they used the right one when visitors from overseas were in Wellington.John Raines son who must be getting on now  lives just out of Wellington and I would be quite happy to give him a ring if you would like.As far as I know John Raine and Co moved their business to Auckland and it probably continues to operate but obviously under different management.I've no idea if the magnum paperweight is still in NZ or even if the Paperweight Society continues.If you would like me to follow up on this just let me know.

The reason I got the name wrong is this mail is part of my backlog - I did ask him to follow-up but heard no more... over to you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand