No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: White star... is it a signature cane?  (Read 8224 times)

Offline Liz

• Members
White star... is it a signature cane?
« on: June 28, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »
http://i5.tinypic.com/160diqg.jpg  - Top
http://i4.tinypic.com/160dlsl.jpg    - Bottom
http://i5.tinypic.com/160e6wp.jpg  - White star

Hi All!

Here is another recent EBay find that I am trying to identify, the only reference to a white star that I can find is attributed to James Kontes, but his star appears to be different than this one. Any thoughts on who might be the maker of this paperweight?

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer...Thanks as always! :D

Liz
Liz

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
another reason
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 07:57:20 PM »
A beautiful paperweight and yet ANOTHER reason glassmakers have got to sign their paperweights.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 08:33:50 PM »
Thanks Wrightoutlook!

It would be wonderful if all paperweights were "signed", but I guess it would take all the "fun" out of researching the unknowns! :wink:

As for this one, it is unbelievably clear ( my photos are terrible) glass, compared to others in my collection. Which is why I have spent so much time trying to figure out the maker, maybe it's wishful (on a star) thinking on my part but, I believe this is a quality paperweight. The artist certainly deserves recognition!

And, if I am wrong and it turns out to be Chinese..... :cry:

Liz
Liz

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:36:39 PM »
:D If it turns out to be Chinese, it will be excellent news as it will prove that at least one maker (company or person) can produce really good quality work and this will give hope that there could eventually be a range of higher quality Chinese weights; more so than some of the better ones now being made.

As for the star cane ... Yes, a white 5-point star was used by James Kontas. And also by his brother Nontas. According to Dohan's Paperweight Signature Canes book, page 124:
When he first started in 1976 or so, he and Nontas both used a small five point white star in a clear glass rod as their signature ... ... probably used in only three or four weights for each of them ... ... first weights were floral plaques so it is likely that this star cane was used only in this type of weight.

Other American makers have used a similar 5-point white star, inlcuding Drew Ebelhare and Steven Lundberg, but I thought that they both always had their initial(s) as part of a complex cane, which can contain a 5-point star.
KevinH

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 01:17:18 AM »
I agree KevH...it would be astounding to see this quality being produced in China. I would be first in line to purchase more from this maker!

Whatever it turns out to be, I am happy with the purchase and I guess that's what is important. However, I still would like to identify this paperweight so, if anyone has any additional information , I would be very interested in finding out more! I have seen a few of the "newer" Kontes brothers pieces, with the JK and NK canes, and I do not believe this is one of theirs..I wish it were!

Back to the drawing board.... :?

Thanks again for the input!

Liz
Liz

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
auction number
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 03:10:30 AM »
Liz: What auction number was this paperweight? If you haven't, I would like to email the seller and get some information.

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 01:47:21 PM »
I contacted William Pitt, he replied that his first inclination was a studio in California, but the bubbles (which are typically Scottish) has him thrown. He also replied that it was a shame the artist did not sign the paperweight!

The auction number is 7391127068, I did not query the seller, the description (and the low price) led me to believe that she did not have any additional information. She was selling pieces from her mothers estate. I believe she was from Maryland, which made me wonder about a Kontes ( New Jersey) connection.

I will keep trying to figure this one out! Thanks for your help!!

Liz
Liz

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
onward paperweight soldiers
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 11:48:05 PM »
The bubbling does seem a bit like bubble formations in both John Deacons and Caithness flower in the rain paperweights. And the flower does have that Scottish "feel" to it. As for the possibility that this could be a Chinese weight, well, hope does spring eternal, but that attribution is doubtful.

And, the price you paid for it is glorious, especially for you. $9.99. Wow!

I like the California concept, but there are numerous little-known glass artists all over the United States, especially in Oregon and Vermont, many of whom are crafting some paperweights. Ashland, Oregon, home of a famed west coast Shakespeare Festival, has numerous glass artisans. In Vermont, people like Peter Muller are doing extraordinary paperweights. And don't forget the Canadian glasscrafters. Much of their work is sold in the U.S., and many are making paperweights.

Yes, it does stagger the imagination that the weight is not signed.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
seller replies
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 12:48:54 PM »
I received an email from the seller in reply to my question to her about the provenance of the paperweight. She stated that she knew nothing about the weight other than it was in her mother's collection. Didn't know when or how it came to be there.

Offline JP

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 02:20:01 PM »
Nothing else matches up, but the green stem/vine sure does remind me of this Bagwell piece:

http://members.visi.net/~mobrooks/bagwell.jpg
p at mahogany roasters dot com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand