No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: White star... is it a signature cane?  (Read 8214 times)

Offline girlglassguide

• Members
inching toward a solution
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 04:34:11 PM »
The green leaves in the mystery weight do resemble the green fronds in the last weight shown, so this is progress.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Liz

• Members
White star... is it a signature cane?
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 12:00:49 AM »
Sorry for the delay in my reply, we had 25 yards of mulch delivered yesterday and I have been having a wonderful time in the yard! :wink:

Wrightoutlook , thanks for the inquiry! Too bad the seller did not have any additional information! And yes, it was a great bargain!!

The Bagwell paperweight is interesting, the leaves do seem to be similar.

I have not had time to delve deeper into this paperweight , hopefully after the holiday week-end things will slow down here and I can devote more time to it!

I really appreciate everyone's help with this one...hopefully, we can give this paperweight a name!

Have a great week-end :D
Liz
Liz

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
by the way
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 12:49:38 PM »
By the way, Bagwell's first name is Don.

There are a lot of new American paperweight makers now.

Liz, you might also take a look at the work of Scott Bayless, who trained at Corning and with the Charles Lotton family. Also making paperweights in eastern Illinois are three sons of Charles Lotton - Daniel John, and David.

But, although I haven't seen any of their output as yet (except for Charles), I truly believe all of these men would be savvy enough to sign their work, including Bagwell.

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 07:00:24 PM »
I found the maker  :D !! While browsing Paperweight-mall.com, I came across Passionforpaperweights.com, listed under Glass Eye Studio is my paperweight, called magenta flower! That one is signed, mine is not...which if it is a limited edition, as stated, why not sign each one???

I learned that this paperweight is not vintage, one of my personal pet-peeves is attaching the word to vintage to any unknown piece, it is contemporary. I would love to know who the individual artist is/was!
I guess the next step is to contact the studio and try to track him/her down!

I was thrilled to find the maker and wanted to share this with you, as you have all been so very helpful in my quest to solve this "who-done-it"!!

Thanks again! :wink:
Liz
Liz

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 11:51:48 PM »
Well done on finding the maker, Liz. :D

I think there could be a few reasons why your example is not signed:
- it might be an unmarked trial (or artist's proof) piece
- they may have forgotten to sign it
- it could be a "seconds", because of a flaw in the working, and perhaps not intended for release

On the point of it possibly being a "seconds", the base area of yours appears smaller (or at least, less precisely formed) than in the photo of the other one you found. Also, there seem to be less bubbles in the background of yours. These could, of course, be my own interpretations from the photos, which themselves may be at "substantially" different angles, giving a different visual effect.

Checking with GES would be a good idea.
KevinH

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
glasss eye
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 12:59:17 AM »
BRAVA!!!

I had thought Glass Eye signed their weights with at least a GES, if not a full Glass Eye Studio, scratching on the underside.

I know the studio always has a tiny card with their paperweights that states the glass is made from ash from Mt. Saint Helens.

I'm pleased I was a bit on target in calling it American and mentioning the northwest U.S. as a possible source.

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 11:55:33 PM »
KevH...I think you have a valid point, mine does appear to have a slightly smaller bottom than the signed piece, I had not noticed that before you pointed it out! Although, the profiles seem to be a match.

Newbie Question Alert....what do they do with artist proofs and are seconds sold to the public?

Wrightoutlook....good eye!! If there was a smiley that patted you on the back...it would be right here! :D

BTW...has anyone tried the paperweight cataloging software being hawked on EBay? I'm really curious to find out if it's as good as advertised!

Off to watch the fireworks...Happy 4th everyone!!
Liz
Liz

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 01:40:43 PM »
Rest of post diverged and needed its own thread so split out.

See http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6271.0.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand