No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: =S= mark on base of cut crystal glasses  (Read 3292 times)

Offline kathykate

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • All but love Scandinavian
    • UK
=S= mark on base of cut crystal glasses
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:42:51 PM »
I was lucky enough to find a nice set of 6 glasses yesterday, I'm a sucker for old 'proper' glasses and I saw one sitting on a shelf, was going to buy it (I also don't mind having my glasses all mis-matched!) and then discovered 5 more on the shelf below so bought the lot. I believe they are cut crystal and are all marked to the bottom with an etched =S=.

After doing some research on the mark I stumbled on on message on this site saying that mark means they were - forgive me if I get this wrong - unmarked Stuart Crystal, and the =S= is a Stoniers mark, and they would have been used on board ocean liners back in the day (the = parts of the mark represents the plimsol line of a boat). So the Stonier company employed the Stuart glassworks to make the glasses & etch them with the Stonier =S= mark? And they then went off voyaging around the world on boats? It was also mentioned that these may have been sold on board as souvenirs. The fact that I have found 6 of these all together might substantiate this.

I have a few questions about them. Does anyone know a vague age? Are we talking 20s, 30s, 40s or more modern? Would the pattern give me a clue of the age? And what kind of glasses are they? They are pretty large, I've photographed one next to a coke can for size comparison. You'd get a big glass of wine in there, so maybe they are water goblets?

Anyhow, I'm very pleased with them. Now have just got to get rid of other stuff to make room for them!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: =S= mark on base of cut crystal glasses
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »
Nice find. Stoniers actually owned Stuart at the time. It is also possible they were bought from Stoniers Liverpool department store rather than onboard ship.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kathykate

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 05:52:52 AM »
Thank you. It makes more sense to me now that I know Stoniers owned Stuart. Although didn't I read somewhere that Stuart owner bought Stoniers for one of his sons? Would you have any idea of what age they are from?
THANKS

Offline kathykate

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 10:31:21 AM »
Have found this page on the web which says that an S on the bottom of Stuart crystal denotes Seconds so now I'm confused...
http://www.legacyantiques.co.uk/stuart-crystal-highly-cut-lead-crystal-wine-goblet.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
Yours has a =S= not just an S and that is the Stonier mark. Retail sites are not always reliable for attributions

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand