No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Swirl paperweight  (Read 3295 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Old Swirl paperweight
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 11:53:35 AM »

Hi Allan.  A couple of long established antique glass dealers I know have seen quite a few of these over the years, nearly always in the UK, suggesting that is where they originated.  That said, these are common colours for antique glass, and so might be made in various places.  The antique glass rolling pins with pink and/or blue feathering or stripes over white are sometimes attributed to Nailsea, but I am not sure that is correct.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 01:07:54 PM »
Nailsea glass is predominantly bottle green or bottle brown with white inclusions, what I would describe as 'dalmation' spots as in the breed of dog. I'm not aware that Nailsea made paperweights, jugs, plates, bowls and vases I've seen a lot of and also various glass walking sticks with a barley twist.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 09:00:52 PM »
Unfortunately, I think this attribution is still anecdotal.  Dealers in the US attribute items as American, dealers in the UK attribute to the UK, etc.  I still believe the paperweight is Bohemian and not UK.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 09:48:21 PM »
Unless a paperweight is marked or is of a certain style that certain makers or studios created that can be reasonably confidently attributed to they are all pretty subjective, I myself acquire weights that appeal to me, not because of who, where or when they were made and if they are signed, labelled or have any other identifying markings on them then that's a bonus. The price plays a big part as well! A lot of styles and patterns were 'copied' by many producers in various Countries as well which makes identification of origin even harder.

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »
Hiya All.
I have now got another which is almost identical in shape and feel and weight as the swirl. It is smaller at 47mm diameter, but this one has a flower motif and the top swirly disc is smaller and in a recess. Does this make id any simpler?

Don

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »

Hi Don.  That flower looks Thuringian to me.  Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand