No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: far eastern or other ?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
far eastern or other ?
« on: October 10, 2015, 07:27:28 PM »
Hi, is this from the far east or is something nagging me that I have seen something on this board before attributed to a.n. other ?
Flat polished base with ware marks 5.7cm dia x 5.5cm tall. 2 1/4 inches dia and just under 2 1/4 inches tall.
Many Thanks
Malcolm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Hourglass

• Members
Re: far eastern or other ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 08:24:50 PM »
I am no expert by any means but it looks like it may be a European weight, such as Murano, the problem nowadays is that there are so many modern weights out there, coming from China predominantly but also from the UK and France, that it is difficult to determine. My take on things is that any weight that has a rough ground flat bottom is modern and Chinese and although several may be modern, ones that have a smooth polished base are of an age. Wear and scratching is an indication of age but not decisive, myself, although there are some very nice looking rough ground base weights to be had, I tend to shy away from these and go for those with a polished smooth base, ground and polished pontyl, 'dimple' base or with a studio name, artist name or any engraving.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand