No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bud Vase ID help. ID = Caithness  (Read 904 times)

Offline tambo84

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Bud Vase ID help. ID = Caithness
« on: October 12, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone could help identify this bud vase. I was almost satisfied it was Caithness, but I realised the one I have looks a bit slimmer at the top than the Caithness ones I found in that style. Also, the base of this one is completely flat, with no pontil mark. I guess it's probably quite a common design. It only cost a pound though, so there's not much riding on it  ;)

I completely forgot to measure the dimensions of this vase, I will do it tonight when I get from home from work.

Thanks,

Tam

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Bud Vase ID help
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:12:10 PM »
Caithness for sure, bud vase 4022, design goes back to around 1961 (Domhnall ÓBroin). A classic.

John

Offline tambo84

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:55:14 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Is the flat base not relevant then? That was what really made me doubtful, as all the other Caithness pieces I own have at least a bit of a 'dimple' on the base.

Cheers

Tam

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:38:49 AM »
Caithness pieces rarely have pontil marks on the base as they generally have cut and polished rims. A dimple per se is not a pontil mark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand