No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars production colours  (Read 5499 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 07:26:18 PM »
Tell you what....I'll let my glass know that you care, maybe you could be surrogate custodians? In the meantime - it's all MINE!!

Your suggestions above, would need a site all of it's own - a mamouth task and my own photography skills are not up to it, but got to admit it would be brilliant.

Emmi

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Whitefriars production colours
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 11:43:51 AM »
I probably didn't make myself terribly clear, but I was just thinking of a single 'swatch' photo of every colour, but I wasn't advocating every colour with every pattern, which I agree would be a nightmare! :shock:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 12:13:51 PM »
Yes, I understand what you mean David, but in the meantime, this will have to suffice.

As David Hier suggested above, it may be worthwhile to make this into a "sticky" for future easy reference, as this posting will soon get lost under the deluge of new messages.

N.B. there is a "glich" or two in the colour reference, nothing serious, but will be put right ASAP.  Just a typographical error!! Otherwise it is as accurate as can be .

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 12:55:33 PM »
Thanks for this, Emmi! It's a fantastic reference.

For me, the most troublesome problem is with distinguishing the various shades of blue. The others *seem* to be easier. I think I have swans in arctic blue, sapphire blue and now sky blue, but I'm just not sure.

How much variability was there between the individual batches, I wonder? Were they fairly consistent?

All the best,
Cathy

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 01:02:03 PM »
OK Emmi, something to consider for later.

I imagine Frank will want to archive this.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline TomB

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Whitefriars Baxter
    • United Kingdom
Re: Whitefriars production colours
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 08:57:24 AM »
Hi. I'm new to this stuff but have a large collection of Baxter designs. I can't seem to find any research linking colours and the number of vases made in that colourway. For instance I have collectors claiming the indigo Banjo vase was only made a total of 78 times, then another claiming 600 times and another for 213! Is there a log available, either on-line or in a museum? Tom

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 11:36:09 AM »
Hello Tom - welcome to the GMB   
For someone who is new, it sounds as though you've done very well in forming a large collection of Baxter designs.         Are you suggesting this information is available somewhere in archive form - though present whereabouts unknown -  or is it more the case that you wish it was as this would be an interesting aspect to collectors.           Do you know if those collectors making claims as to numbers made, in certain colours, have some form of provenance to support their claims?       I'd suggest that people making such comments should at least have made some research to substantiate this info  -  have you asked these collectors for the source of their information?

I know less than nothing about this particular side of Baxter's output, and could be very wrong, but would have thought it possibly unlikely that the archives for such designs - assuming there are such things as accessible extant archives - might have included such detailed accurate data made at the time of production.

Now watch someone tell me I'm wrong ;)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 02:03:33 PM »
The information came from the workbooks at the factory, each blowers output was recorded, including both shape and colour. I think at least some of that information was available on whitefriars.com which is now no longer functioning. Don't know if any of it is available on whitefriars.org but may be worth asking there. Alternatively look for Whitefriars collectors groups on facebook and ask.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 02:12:11 PM »
thanks John  -  is it known what happened to the factory 'workbooks' you mention?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 03:35:20 PM »
You need a 'Friars aficionado for such questions Paul rather than me! I do remember seeing a photograph of a page from one though, it listed how many of a particular pattern number were made on a given day and in which colour.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand