No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Russian vaseline dessert coupe / goblet / tea glass c1850  (Read 5987 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Russian vaseline dessert coupe / goblet / tea glass c1850
« on: June 29, 2006, 01:52:20 PM »
Here's a vaseline glass rummer for attribution and dating, with friend.

See photograph gallery

I would welcome more information on this rummer or ale glass.   Even country of origin would be a major step forward.    Ideally glassworks, date, and pattern number, but I think all that is rather optimistic.   It has wear consistent with a C19 date, or possibly slightly later.

Thanks for looking,

Bernard C.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 06:27:59 PM »
Hi Bernard,
thank you for writing directly to me also
It looks French to me.
There is a very similar one chez Raspiller, Fenne of 1881 page 62 item number 1118 - but the stem looks a little different I'm afraid.
 :roll:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 06:40:23 PM »
And the friend :shock:

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 07:39:52 PM »
looks like a moray eel  8)
cheers Ray

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 10:15:31 PM »
Bernard
this one is easy for me....I already did the research!

from
http://www.vaselineglass.org/factory.html

Fedorovsk Brothers:  In the Christie's Auction catalog on Russian Works of Art, dated April 18, 1996, a photo of eight of these, including underplates, were shown.  The following text outlined the auction item: "Eight russian uranium glass dessert coupes and underplates.  Marker's mark of the Fedorvsk Brothers Factory with impressed marks, circa 1850.  Each green faceted on conforming scalloped underplates with oval cartouches: 6" high, quantity: 8.  In the mid-nineteenth century, the development of uranium glass with its bright fluorescent color caused a number of large services to be created by the Imperial Glassworks, the most important having been commissioned by Emperor Nicholas I for the cottage at Peterhof.  This spurred imitators, of whom the Brothers Feodorovsk were the most accomplished private factory."  The pre-auction estimate for the sale at Christie's was given at $1,800 - $2,500 for the 8 dessert coupes with matching underplates.  The coupe and underplate pictured here has the Russian marking on the base of the coupe.  A very similar style was also made in the United States.  In addition, not all of the Russian coupes have the Fedorovsk mark on the base.  Both the cup and the underplate are canary flint glass.

and, link to image (below), showing the matching underplate.  These usually sell for $200-250, add an extra $50 (US$) if you have an underplate.  I think I sold this one last year at our convention for $200 with underplate.  nice piece of flint glass, but not a rummer, a 'dessert coupe'.

http://www.vaselineglass.org/russiacup.jpg

But Bernard, you will probably keep it......after all, how many pieces of true Russian vaseline glass do you have in your collection??

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 07:09:43 AM »
Quote from: "pamela"
... It looks French to me.
There is a very similar one chez Raspiller, Fenne of 1881 page 62 item number 1118 - but the stem looks a little different I'm afraid. ...

Pamela — Grateful thanks for the information.  It was kind of you.  As you will see, we now have a positive ID with a completely unexpected attribution!

Dave — Brilliant!   I'm speechless (well, not quite).   Google also came up with this article published by Siegmar Geiselberger on Pressglas-Korrespondenz, see:-
http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2005-3w-allen-pokal-russ.pdf

Note that my example clearly makes the "14" shown in this complex mark a size "¼" [litre] rather than a pattern number or other reference.

Thanks again.   BTW I will be selling it — we don't have any space in our tiny home.

Oh, and if you have a spare minute or two, please would you let Francis N. Allen know of this variant.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 10:03:17 AM »
Thank you Bernard and Dave  :D

Dessert coupe! I already was wondering how to drink without spilling... :?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 12:20:51 PM »
Bernard
If you will notice on the article by Siegmar, I was the contributor of the photos and information.  The photo of the underplate and coupe, in addition to the marking, was from the one I had.  The grouping of 8 is where I got my information.  Siegmar was surprised too, when I gave him the information.

Oh, by the way, In my travels 6 months ago, I spotted the underplate....in BLUE!

DAVE
AKA: Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 09:52:47 AM »
Dave — Yes, I saw your name in the PK article.   I was having a browse around to see if I could find a consistent Roman alphabet spelling of the glassworks name (found a fourth, Fedorovsky, to add to Fedorovsk, Fedorvsk, and Feodorovsk), and to see if there was any clue as to the origin of Christie's material.

No luck.

Thanks again,

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand