No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Millefiori necklace info  (Read 2155 times)

Offline amelia1730

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • murano
    • UK
Millefiori necklace info
« on: October 26, 2015, 12:00:29 PM »
Hello, I am new here so apologies if I make any mistakes or don't follow protocol! :-[

I have a millefiori necklace which I would like information on. I have searched the internet but, apart from a very brief guide on eBay have found nothing. I do hope someone will be able to help me sort the Morettis from the fakes from China! Having looked at some of the pieces on eBay I can't tell which ones are better quality, warranting a high price and which are poor. I think mine looks good but would appreciate some pointers please. I simply don't know what to look for. Having trouble getting my photos uploaded so you can take a look. I am told they are too large. Never had this problem before so I guess I am doing something wrong.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Millefiori necklace info
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 05:38:28 PM »
Hi and welcome.
There are loads of techie tips and sets of instructions about posting images to be found here.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,22.0.html

You just need to find the right instructions for the sort of systems you use.

Failing that, click on the envelope icon beside my username, and use what comes up to send me a pm.
That will get us into email contact with each other and you can send me the images to resize for you.

I do have an interest in old glass beads - my "thing" is the use of gold and silver foil in them, but I've had sets with both foil and millifiori.

I did take a load of them to the antiques roadshow when they were here, and Judith Miller and Andy MacConnel had a look at them, but couldn't tell me much more about them than this.

They were made using lampwork, it was a "cottage industry", there are both good Czech and good Murano ones around, but the bottom line is that they were still made within about 50 odd miles of each other.

I have heard that one "rule of thumb" one can use is that if the inside of the bead is black, indicating that they were made on copper wires, they are more likely to be Venetian rather than Czech, and if the inside is sort of white and chalky, they are Czech.
However, I do not know how reliable or accurate this is.  ;D

I would love to see your beads!

The foil ones do not turn up as often as they used to - I think there is a large collector's market for them in the States, and they can make good prices.

However, there is so much wonderful and good contemporary costume jewellery out there that it has affected the market for old costume jewellery. It's not as desirable as it once was.

But it's still wonderful to wear - the quality is better, and you know you're wearing the real thing. 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 04:08:23 PM »
I got your message and have replied to you.
We should be in email contact now.  :)

We are, and I now have the images.

I remembered something else immediately on seeing the beads - one way of telling genuine old ones from new ones is that old ones are properly graduated in size.
Newer ones might have 3 or 4 different sizes of bead, attempting to seem graduated - but not really succeeding.
Another thing is to look for old, properly knotted strings, or for fine metal wires.
If you find any old square profiled gold wires, they're old and quite possibly have a French connection.
They stopped making the square wires a long time ago.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 06:50:27 PM »
I've been told these beads were restrung in the '90s.
That explains the red spacer beads. They are not contemporary!

:-[ edited to cross my mistake out.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline amelia1730

• Members
    • murano
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 07:33:44 PM »
Yes, the red beads  are original. I had it re strung professionally myself. I seem to remember that it had a dodgy barrel clasp at the time  so it's my fault it now has a bolt ring - oops!

Offline amelia1730

• Members
    • murano
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
They belonged to my elderly Mum's aunt and we're purchased or inherited  between the 30' and 50's

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 07:42:28 PM »
I'm going to stick my neck out a bit and say that I do not think these beads are from the far east.
I think the canes are too complicated for that.
But I'm not a cane person - some assistance from somebody who can say anything about beads and milifiori would be much appreciated.
I know they're a difficult area, but that doesn't stop them being gorgeous and worthy of discussion.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 05:54:54 PM »
A quick observation ... well made canes with "garish reds", "insipid greens" and "acid yellows" ... must be Murano!
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 06:33:10 PM »
Amelia has told me that the flash she used did make the colours a bit brighter Kev, but your personal (and highly experienced) observation is really appreciated - and miles and miles better than the personal observations of most folk.
I would strongly suspect you are correct. If bright reds and yellows, with insipid greens on well-made, complex canes indicates Murano, I'm happy to believe that this lovely necklace is Murano rather than Czech.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline amelia1730

• Members
    • murano
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »
Many thanks to Kevin and Sue for your help
Much appreciated

Although it is very pretty I will be looking to sell as I'm unable to wear it myself. I now have the minefield of pricing according to Ebay to contend with! I am amazed at the variation in prices.

Once again, thank you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand