No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peceny Candle Wax plus Italian variants  (Read 12950 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Re: Need vase maker ID
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 01:58:38 PM »
Hi TC,
I'm checking this, with the seller, as it may be a mistake, and/or correction from elsewhere (ie another description). We are aware of at least one vase, frequently appearing as Sklo Union, which is also known to carry the Fidenza mark.
Regards,
Marcus

Thanks, I've got one of those Fidenza vases someware. I just came across it while I was looking for orange coloured vases in the Italian section. I was very surprised to find that the ebay listing had a description of an Italy mark though.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 02:02:14 PM »
Tigger - not quite the same - but almost....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270083450064
 -  marked Italy on base.
Apologies for long link - bit rushed ;D

That's the link that I posted.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 03:27:02 PM »
Small world.  Just bought 2 of the vases this morning - nothing written on the bottom - and already had 2 of the tumblers.  Went onto ebay to see what a "Mesi" tumbler looked like...........and found this in the completed 300074375835  which is not like mine.  Luckily someone had a live listing as well and they are the same which is great as I now have names for 4 more bits.

I LOVE this site!

Cat

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Sklounion

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 03:44:51 PM »
Hi Catshome,

Would you be so kind as to post a link to  an image of your tumblers, please?
Thanks,
Marcus

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 04:21:25 PM »
Hi Marcus - with pleasure.  I hadn't posted a picture as they are the same as the link posted earlier.  Cat

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/smallerDSCN0689.jpg
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Sklounion

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 04:35:06 PM »
Thanks Cat,

I have not yet pinned these tumblers down. The contemporary images of both the vases, and dessert set in the "candle-wax" pattern, do not show a matching range of tumblers. Leave me with it....... I may have more to add at the end of the month.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 08:12:36 PM »
Hi (again) Marcus,

Being able to hold both the vase and the tumbler I can say 99% certain they are from very different places.  I thought the tumblers would be someone like Iittala, so I was unsurprised to see these on ebay  220078162918.  I'm going to email the seller and see if I can get his source of information on them.

Is it the vase you're still checking?  I think your website is fab and have bookmarked it for a future visit when I have a bit more time to browse.

Cat

Cat 😺

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Re: Need vase maker ID - question for Pip added
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 09:36:28 PM »
I missed Pip's reply #17.  Pip, can you let us know where you found the info about the "Mesi" pattern please.........it looks as though I need another book!  Thanks Cat
Cat 😺

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Italian copy of Peceny "Candle Wax" - refresh my memory pls...
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2007, 08:58:30 PM »
Yesterday, I bought a vase that looked very like a Sklo Union 'candle wax' vase, but had 'Italy' marked on the base - well hidden on the inside rim, so that I only found it by feel.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5411

Does anyone know who might have made these? Is this another Fidenza copy? Are the copies always marked?

Also, I note that the base on my vase is exactly the same as the one pictured on Della's vases here - no grinding and with that strange double rim. Could hers be Italian, too?

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5184.msg42654.html#msg42654

Thanks in advance.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: Italian copy of Peceny "Candle Wax" - refresh my memory pls...
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2007, 09:40:27 PM »
Hi Cathy,

I have never actually studied the bases of mine, until you posted this thread. I actually have 4 of these vases and have just had them all up-side-down on the table.
None of them have the word Italy anywhere, but, 2 of the bases are decidedly hollow and 2 of them are hollow towards the rim, raising slighlty towards the centre. You can actually see the concavity through the side of the vases of the 2 with the hollow dip, but not on the other 2.
I am now very curious.  :-\
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand