No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two new paperweights for id please  (Read 2363 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Two new paperweights for id please
« on: June 30, 2006, 02:57:48 PM »
I have just bought a new batch of paperweights, and would really appreciate some help with some of them.  I am ok with the Selkirk ones, but I am not sure at all about these two. I've created galleries for them so I hope you can see the detail ( I am rather happy with this new little bit of software I just got!  What do you think?? How does it look on your browser?  All feedback welcomed!)

First is a tall clear class tall cone with dark purple and wine red ribbons.  The weight is 4.25 install, 3 ins diameter across the base.  The base is raised slightly in the centre, and this central raised dome has been ground and polished flat.  No marks or signatures I can find.

http://www.clarkagency.co.uk/tallpaperweight.htm

The second is a lovely clear dome with loads of tiny flower canes in groups, with larger white "roses" with yellow stamens in the centre of each group.  The base is flat ground and polished, and has what looks like the remnants of a clear plastic label to the centre.

http://www.clarkagency.co.uk/pinkpaperweight.htm
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline girlglassguide

• Members
one is murano
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 04:32:48 PM »
The pinkish paperweight with the tight millefiori cane clusters is from Murano, Italy in the Venetian lagoon; circa 1980s and 1990s, or maybe into the 2000s. 99% chance it was made by 3 Firoi, which is no lonher in business, having closed last year or was it 2004?

The other seems to be one of thus nebulous China-made possibilites; possibly Taiwan, as opposed to Red China.

Both are colorful and nice discoveries. But future value is stable and basic, around $25 to $35 U.S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 12:58:46 PM »
Thank you, what a shame they weren't something a bit nicer...

I've not seen a Chinese weight with such a smooth clear ground base - is this now usual?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
attribution
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 12:59:38 PM »
The second paperweight is, as noted above, Murano. A nice gathering of tight pastel millefiori canes. Check the bottom for a faint 3 Fiori mark. Move it around in the light to catch the stamp, if it's there. It also looks like 3 Fiori-made to me. It could be marked, but the company didn't mark all of their paperweights.

The first weight seems new Czech or even new Polish. Maybe somewhere else in Eastern Europe. I'd go with European, but not the U.K. since the glassmakers in the U.K. are doing hyper-quality work, and although the swirl weight is colorful and pleasing to the eye, it's not up to the caliber of most new U.K. paperweights. I don't think it's Chinese; however.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 01:07:35 PM »
thanks, there don't seem to be any marks on the base, I've peeled the central clear label away as it was obscuring the entire centre.  There is the remnants of an oblong paper label still to the centre, but the top has eroded away, so I can't see any name to help.

Never mind, I like it anyway!   :P

Czech or Polish could be nearer the mark than Chinese for the cone I think - I have a lot of Chinese weights, and the feel is not at all like this one.  The clear glass is somehow "darker" if you know what I mean? It has a good heft as well.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand