No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Schneider vase - Opinions/Info request  (Read 2515 times)

Offline SteveG787

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Schneider vase - Opinions/Info request
« on: November 09, 2015, 04:56:08 PM »
I have recently acquired an unusual Schneider vase and am looking for learned opinions on it.

While I am happy that the glass part is Schneider (althought it is not signed anywhere) I am less sure about the base. It is wrought iron and has a good age but whether it is original or a sympathetic repair I am not sure. The only access I have to information on Schneider glass is online and so far I haven't been able to find anything like it except a slightly different shape vase that had a circular glass foot with no metal.

Please chip in with any opinions, I am happy with it anyway it is a beautiful thing.

Thank you.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Schneider vase - Opinions/Info request
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 11:37:46 AM »
The design is (not surprisingly) called "Fuchsias" - according to the Schneider book (by Joulin & Maier) produced 1924-1927. The book also shows a few (well - very few) items with metal footing - but no amphora-like vase like yours. This may not mean much, as the book concentrates on the designs, and only shows a few shapes for most designs.

On the other hand: my Schneider vases are signed on the (glass) foot - so the fact that there is no signature on the body may indicate the (signed) glass foot is missing ???.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline SteveG787

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 05:01:31 PM »
Thanks Wuff,

I came to the same conclusion but thought I'd see if anybody on here had seen anything like it. I know from other areas I'm more familiar with that I see stuff that doesn't appear on the internet anywhere so it was worth asking.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »
Not an area for which I have much experience.

However, in Edith Mannoni's book on Schneider glass, "amphora" type vases with "wrought iron stands" are illustrated but they are shorter and wider in the shoulder than the one posted here.  Also, the metal work appears to be well designed to highlight the vase shape and give a very balanced look to the whole. The queried item seems to me to be quite unbalanced in its tripod setting.

Of the vases in the book that are similar in shape to the one posted, they all (or most) show a large, but well-balanced, low knop either at the top of a stem with foot or a stem fitted into a tripod stand and with the knop sitting just above the centre of the metal fitting. The lack of knop on the posted vase appears out of keeping with those in the book.

So, yes, I would also think it is a "sympathetic repair".
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand