No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can you ID this hanging Duck Decanter circa 1920's?  (Read 4848 times)

Offline penern

• Members
Can you ID this hanging Duck Decanter circa 1920's?
« on: June 30, 2006, 05:49:06 PM »
Hi, does anybody know who manufactured this duck decanter or anything else about it? Thanks so much for the help.
Here is the link to the image: Duck Decanter
kype: penern

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 06:13:17 PM »
Welcome to GMB.

Can't help with the ID, but a great item and I look forward to finding out who made it :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 07:14:00 PM »
Thse have been around for a long time by various makers. Sold in places like Harrod's and Asprey's - I have a cat somewhere, that has one of these in. Will look for it but don't hold your breath.

Offline penern

• Members
Hanging, decanter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 05:55:04 PM »
I made a typo. It was supposed to be hanging decanter NOT handing decanter. Does anyone know where I can find images of similar items? The one I have came from my granny in South Africa. It may have been a wedding present.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 06:28:57 PM »
Fixed the heading. I found my Aspreys, Harrod's and Mallett catalogues but did not find the image! It could have been in a book.

Is the metal silver? and hallmarked?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 06:43:08 PM »
If you're looking for similar items, I found this duck decanter in: Millers 'Collecting Glass' by Sarah Yeats, special consultants Mark West & David McCarron.  ISBN 1840001927.  I realise it's probably not even the same country of origin, but thought you might like to see it.

http://i6.tinypic.com/1zb6rmv.jpg

Although yours looks more like a pheasant to me!

Hopefully it's alright putting that link on, if not, I can delete this.
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »
Max, I think in this context it is fair use particularly as you quote the source. The link will be deleted if we are asked to do so.

It is really annoying me that I cannot find my reference, I know these are familiar to me. I will ask Andy McConnell author of Decanters to take a peek.

Offline penern

• Members
I think the metal is pewter?
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 07:48:24 PM »
I don't see any marks so I think the metal is pewter. Yes I think it is a quail, I call it a duck decanter only because I see this often as a generic name for wine type decanters. The head is hinged and the glasses are tiny liqueur glasses so I imagine it was used for liqueur or port. Since granny's family was British, I should imagine the decanter is British or European.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 08:09:06 PM »
I'm glad the photograph I took from my book was useful to you.
I am not a man

Offline Andy McConnell

• Author
  • Members
Duck decanter & glasses in [apparently] silver-plated fr
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 08:22:28 PM »
Frank has kindly drawn my attention to this item. This was probably because he knows that I am to stage an exhbition devoted to 'The 20th Century Decanter' at Glass Etc, our shop/complex/gallery in Rye, East Sussex, England, from late-August to October.

The show is timed to coidnece with the publication of my new book, '20th Century Glass, to be published by Miller's in august. I am also the author of The Decanter, An Illustrated History of Glass from 1650' [ACC, 2004].

Now to the business at hand. I would be prepared to bet that the pice in question in Bohemian/Czech. The colour and the wacky odd-ball design are certainly right.

Alexander Critchon, a London-based Scottish silversmith is famed for the series of animal-shaped claret jugs, made in association with a model-maker, John Curry. These are extremely sought-after, and a kangaroo version recently sold at Christie's for over £20,000. However, these were made in the 1880s whilst the piece illustrated on the site is of inferior quality and probably dates, possibly from the late-1920s, but more likely the '30s.

The only fixed source of decanters, or more accurately, claret jugs of this type and date is the Karel Palda glassworks in what is now Novy Bor, Czech Republic. When Palda celebrated its, I think, 50th or 100th anniversary in 1939 [-ish], it published a colour catalouge of its huge range of pieces. these include a series of differing animal-shaped claret jugs of similar style to that on the site. Several of these pages [including the one featuring the birds, hippos, etc] appear in one of Truitt's 'Collecting Bohemian Glass' [both Schiffer]...but we have just moved and all my reference books are currently inaccessable.

That's the best I can offer...before klnocking off after a long day.

Good night everyone!

Andy
Andy McConnell

Author 'The Decanter, An Illustrated History of Glass from 1650', Antique Collectors' Club, June 2004.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand