No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New signature research info. Dobson Said Marie.  (Read 2667 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
New signature research info. Dobson Said Marie.
« on: November 27, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »
Hi Guys, I have got some great new info which clears up ongoing confusion regarding sigs on 1970s pieces :)
I have been speaking to an ex-Mdina worker who was there in the early 1970s concerning the signatures in the pics below, which I sent him via mms. He did not particularly recognise any of them apart the one that is dated 1973 that he thinks is Dobson, as 'his signature leaned to the right'.
Pieces were signed by Dobson if he was available, if not they were signed by Marie who was in charge of quality control and packing. He also states that (apart from friggers) no other members of the team signed pieces apart from the two mentioned. I think we can conclude from this that quite a few signatures were done by Marie and therefore totally random and not the signature of the actual maker or designer. This new info must put in to doubt pieces that are claimed to be signed by Said, he didn't sign pieces, certainly in the earlier days and these would have to be by Marie.
This is what I have suspected and explains the very random nature of the signatures we are finding on the bases.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Re: New signature research info. Dobson Said Marie.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 10:21:52 AM »
I would say that the if the 1973 sig is Dobson then also the 1975 is as well?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »
I would have said that if the '73 is Dobson, then the mark on the blue and yellow, undated piece is also Dobson, not the other ones. Those are the ones I have thought were Dobson, the really spikey ones.

But fascinating to discover that Marie did the others.  ;D 8) ;D :) :) :)

Still no joy on the other, much scarcer "signature"?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 11:22:01 PM »
I think the blue and yellow piece , which shows an example of the  signature , is quite different ...the 'N' at the end of 'Dobson' is a bold , significant 'N' .  The "n's" on Wolfie's 1973 & 75 examples tail-off to a very insignificant small 'n' (almost to a lumpy  line ) . They also have a big 'D'  and a large swirl of an 'S' (if it is an 'S'...why have a big S though....could just be a flourish  ?!)  which is above a good part of the signature.

I'm no handwriting expert though...only my thought !

What you need is a copy of a signed document by Mr Dobson ..just to confirm !

Cheers, Mike

Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
I've turned this one upside down, to see if it looks any more like the others, this way around.

However, I think the big take home message is that Said did not sign anything.  :)

So in no way could a piece be artist signed, unless it was Micahel Harris. It was either Marie, or Dobson who made signature marks.

Do we know what the mark was supposed to read? Whose signature was it meant to be?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »
I have been looking at as many signatures as I can find and I have noticed something which might be of importance.
There seem to be a difference in the style of writing of the 'G' of (Malta) Glass.

This is a guess of course but it seems to me that all the Dobson 'G's are more cursive. They start at a low point then loop up and down the back of the G.
Where as the other ones, likely Marie, are more capital and start at the top of the G.

All the ones I have seen with this cursive G seem to then be followed by a Dobson looking sig.

I have put together a couple of pics to help describe what I am referring to.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
The G (and other letters) in the 'Donbson' examples is/are standard copperplate script taught in many private/public/grammar schools in the U.K.(I had to endure a whole year of it ). Michael Harris also wrote in copperplate handwriting , not his though   :)
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 10:12:08 PM »
Here is a link to an IOW studio glass paperweight (in Seaward type colours c1973)  which shows Michael Harris's handwriting.....

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,61612.0.html

Just for comparison. Lucky to have found it just recently. The 'M''s in the first & fourth photos above (which started this thread) look 'loopy' to the top , not standard copperplate (which would be pointed to the top,normally ) , but might just be artistic licence /personal preference.

Ta ,Mike

P.S. I'm not a handwriting expert but did study it for a year and Michael Harris's handwriting is as near to standard copperplate as you can find (IMHO)!  :D
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 01:32:37 AM »
Here is a a dated , 1977, Mdina goblet .  ' Mdina' looks the same as the first photo (reproduced here) . A gap between the 'n' and the 'a ' and the 'M' and  'd' . The same style 'M'. The '7's' have a curl in a different position but look at the '9' ...exactly the same ! ...plus a little hook at the bottom of the 9 .

Either this is Dobson's handwriting or it isn't and Dobson signed some pre-inscribed (and dated) pieces ??....Or someone could have signed on his behalf ??  The photo number 1 at the start of this thread could be the same hand as shown in this goblet . Photo number 4  (apart from the signature ) could be a compacted version of photo number one.  ??? Also the first 's' in glass is joined to the second 's' in glass from below in the same way despite the loops to the tops of both the 's'..s ....in the goblet example   ;) ....If you can see my drift  ::)  :D

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand